Below is a look at tips Ojeda provided;
It’s the time of year when many choose a tax preparer to help file their tax return. Taxpayers should choose wisely because they are responsible for all information on their income tax return regardless of who prepares the return.
Check the Preparer’s History.
* Ask the BBB about the preparer.
* Check for disciplinary actions and the license status
* For CPAs, check with the State Board of Accountancy.
* For attorneys, check with the State Bar Association
* For Enrolled Agents, verify enrolled agent status at IRS.gov
Ask about Service Fees.
* Avoid preparers who charge on a percentage of the refund or boast bigger refunds than their competition
* Don’t give tax documents, Social Security numbers or other information when asking about fees
Ask to E-File - IRS e-file is the quickest way to get your refund
Review Before Signing.
* Never Sign a Blank Return
* Before signing a tax return, review it
* Ask questions if something is not clear
* Make sure the refund goes directly to you – not to the preparer
* Report abusive tax preparers and suspected tax fraud to the IRS.