WICHITA FALLS, TX (TNN) - Monica Horton with the Better Business Bureau joined Jake Garcia on News Channel 6 at Noon to discuss spring cleaning of the digital realm.
Horton provided the following tips. You can watch the full interview above.
This week is the first day of spring and in addition to the scrubbing, sweeping and sprucing up your home for the season the BBB reminds consumers to clear digital clutter by conducting a digital spring cleaning focusing on personal data protection.
A digital refresh is a relatively simple process that everyone should follow beginning this spring and throughout the year:
* KEEP A CLEAN MACHINE – Ensure all software on internet-connected devices is up to date to reduce the risk of infection from malware.
* LOCK DOWN YOUR LOGINS – Your usernames and passwords are not enough for personal data protection of email, banking and social media. Make sure you have the strongest authentication tools available in place.
* DECLUTTER YOUR MOBILE LIFE – Delete apps you no longer use and keep all others current and up to date. Manage your location services, Bluetooth, microphone and camera making sure the apps are using them appropriately.
* DO A DIGITAL FILE PURGE – Save only the emails that you really need and unsubscribe to email you no longer need. Back up important data to a place where it can be safely stored and make sure you password protect the backup drives.
* OWN YOU’RE ONLINE PRESENCE – Update your online relationships by reviewing friends on social networks and all contacts lists to make sure everyone still belongs.
For additional tips on how to DISPOSE of electronically stored data search ‘BBB Digital Spring Cleaning’ in your browser.