Available Grant Money Could Help Meals On Wheels Program In Texoma - KAUZ-TV: Newschannel 6 Now | Wichita Falls, TX

Available Grant Money Could Help Meals On Wheels Program In Texoma

The Texas Department of Agriculture recently announced it will be giving out $10 million in funding for agencies that deliver meals to elderly and disabled Texans.

That could mean big things for the Meals on Wheels program in Wichita Falls.

Newschannel 6 Lindsey Rogers found out if the non-profit gets the extra money, it'll be able to serve more meals to Texomans in need.

"The people who receive these meals, they didn't plan to be in this condition, it just happened and it could happen to any of us," Betty Brown said.

The Texans Feeding Texans Home-Delivered Meal Grant Program has awarded nearly $30 million since 2008.

This year, it's made another $10 million available.

"There is no excuse for hunger in the U.S.," Brown said.

She is the executive director at the Senior Citizens Center of North Texas.

Brown said the first two years the state grant was available Meals on Wheels received at least $85,000.

But last year, they got nothing.

So she's crossing her fingers this year will be different.

"It really helps us out. We all struggle to make ends meat and this just makes it a little easier," Brown said.

Meals on Wheels delivers 185,000 meals to elderly or disabled folks the Wichita Falls and Archer City areas each year.

"For those receiving these meals, it provides about 40 percent of their daily nutrition, it's very important to them," Brown said.

Cooks prepare anywhere from 1,200 to 1,300 meals a day, filling up to 360 in just 10 minutes!

It costs about a $1 million for Meals on Wheels to operate for one year.

About 60 percent of the organization's funding comes from the government, the other 40 percent from fundraising and donations.

Which is why any money received through this grant would mean more meals for more Texomans.

"There are a number of we serve that we receive no funding at all from," Brown said.

Those meals are for the individuals who may not be technically eligible for the food, but are still in need.

"We serve those people whether we receive funding or not and this ag money allows us to do that," Brown said.

Applications for the Texans Feeding Texans Home-Delivered Meal Grant Program are being accepted September 1 through November 1.

For more information on the grant click here.  For more information on the Meals on Wheels program click here.  For more information on the Senior Citizens Center of North Texas click here.

 

  • News HeadlinesNewsMore>>

  • First case of Zika confirmed in Texas

    First case of Zika confirmed in Texas

    First case of Zika confirmed in Texas

    Thursday, July 27 2017 6:19 PM EDT2017-07-27 22:19:34 GMT
    (Source: Wichita Falls Wichita County Health Department)(Source: Wichita Falls Wichita County Health Department)

    Hidalgo County, Texas believes it's confirmed the known instance of local mosquito transmission of Zika within the continental United States in 2017. 

    Hidalgo County, Texas believes it's confirmed the known instance of local mosquito transmission of Zika within the continental United States in 2017. 

  • Pentagon, border wall covered in $788B House spending bill

    Pentagon, border wall covered in $788B House spending bill

    Thursday, July 27 2017 12:48 PM EDT2017-07-27 16:48:59 GMT
    Friday, July 28 2017 4:40 AM EDT2017-07-28 08:40:19 GMT
    The House passed a $788 billion spending bill Thursday that combines a $1.6 billion down payment for President Donald Trump's controversial border wall with Mexico with a whopping budget increase for the Pentagon. (Source: CNN)The House passed a $788 billion spending bill Thursday that combines a $1.6 billion down payment for President Donald Trump's controversial border wall with Mexico with a whopping budget increase for the Pentagon. (Source: CNN)

    The GOP-controlled House is plowing ahead on legislation to give the Pentagon a massive spending boost and deliver a $1.6 billion down payment for President Donald Trump's oft-promised wall along the U.S.-Mexico...

    The GOP-controlled House is plowing ahead on legislation to give the Pentagon a massive spending boost and deliver a $1.6 billion down payment for President Donald Trump's oft-promised wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

  • Russia sanctions bill exposes Trump's legislative tug of war

    Russia sanctions bill exposes Trump's legislative tug of war

    Thursday, July 27 2017 3:58 AM EDT2017-07-27 07:58:45 GMT
    Friday, July 28 2017 4:00 AM EDT2017-07-28 08:00:42 GMT
    President Donald Trump is likely to sign a tough new sanctions bill that includes proposed measures targeting Russia.
    President Donald Trump is likely to sign a tough new sanctions bill that includes proposed measures targeting Russia.
Powered by Frankly