Police Investigate Overpass Truck Accident

Monday, Crews surveyed the damage of the horrific overpass accident that locked up I-44.

A tractor trailer sailed off the Lloyd Ruby Overpass and landed on 8th Street just after 4 p.m. Friday shutting down parts of downtown Wichita Falls for hours.

Although the shattered glass and the torn trailer have been cleaned up, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department still has a lot of work that needs to be done.

Many leaves in the park next to 8th Street are covered in fuel, giving the entire area a terrible odor. While The Texas Wildlife and Parks Department is working on a plan to fully clean up the area, police are looking back at the accident to try and see what exactly went wrong.

Friday, 56 year old Jaime Antonio Tolossa was driving his tractor trailer through the streets of Texoma.

Police say Tolossa was going north on I-44, when he realized he was in the wrong lane. Sensing he was about to get off the highway, he swerved to the left. The truck soon lost control, the cab detached, and the entire cab flew over the edge of the overpass while the trailer straddled the lanes above.

For hours the Wichita Falls Police Department, the Sheriff's Office, and the Fire Department worked to clear the area. The Fire Department declared 8th street a level one hazard situation and used only local resources to soak up the fuel lying in the street and pump out the diesel fuel still in the truck.

Onlookers were on scene until the end, snapping pictures of the shattered cab. Tolossa's personal items scattered among the wreckage.

Over the next couple of days, police will investigate what caused the crash, by examining factors such as speed and location. They have 10 days from the time of the accident to file a report with the Transportation Officials in Austin.

The driver miraculously escaped the crash alive. He was released from the hospital with a couple of bumps, bruises, and some back problems Saturday.

Mary Moloney, Newschannel 6