Fire Guts Home - Christmas Lights Blamed

Just days before Christmas, a Clay County family's home is destroyed. Fire gutted the single-wide trailer on Jay Road. The blaze broke out around 1:30PM Wednesday. Newschannel 6 was the first on the scene, beating even the Fire Department. Flames were seen billowing dozens of feet in the air. Thick, black smoke could be seen for miles.

Wichita County Sheriff David Duke – who also serves as a Firefighter with the Wichita West VFD happened to be on patrol in the eastern part of Wichita County and rushed to the scene to help.

According to Clay County Sheriff Ken Lemons, the homeowner thinks the fire started by Christmas lights overloading an outlet. Something Lemons says can be prevented. "That's one of the dangers this time of year, Christmas time, we've got yard lights, inside lights tree lights and sometimes we put too many on a circuit," he said.

To prevent this from happening to other Texoma families, Lemons offers some advice. "Just be cognizant of how many things you plug in to one circuit or one plug and spread them out and its okay to say that's enough, that's enough lights," he said.

The family stood watching as crews worked to put the flames out. Lemons says they are ever-mindful of the tough time the family faces this Christmas. Every December we are all really bothered by it, it happens every December, somebody loses their home right here at Christmas time so its a very, its a terrible and its a tragedy to these folks and our hearts go out to them," he said.

After seeing the story air First at Five, a Newschannel 6 viewer named Judy called wanting to  help the family with clothing donations. If you would like to help the family, call the Clay County Sheriff's Office. The number is 940-538-5611. Sheriff Ken Lemons says Deputies will help facilitate your donations.

If you would like to learn tips on how to keep your family's home safe during the Christmas Season, click here.

Paul Harrop, Newschannel 6