Today marks the Terquasquicentennial, or 175th anniversary, of the birth of the Republic of Texas. On March 2, 1836, the Texas Declaration of Independence, modeled after the American Declaration of Independence authored 60 years earlier, was adopted at Washington-on-the-Brazos. Ten years later, the Republic of Texas became the 28th state.
Test you Republic of Texas knowledge!
1. How long was Texas a nation?
2. How many different presidents did it have?
3. Where was its final capitol location?
4. What university received its charter during the nation's brief life?
5. A 175th anniversary is called what? (hint: the answer is in this story)
6. What did the first president do that many considered treasonous?