Parts Of 287 Closed After Fiery Crash North Of Electra

Officials say Highway 287 Service Road is still closed and could reopen later tonight after Wednesday's fiery crash near Electra. The interior southbound lane of US-287 will be closed until road crews patch the surface that was burned in the crash.

Authorities says toxicology results for any potential drugs or alcohol involved aren't expected back for another 6-8 weeks.

The driver of the SUVm 37-year-old Rodney Lemone Woodard of Quanah, and the driver of the semi, 44-year-old Tim Allen Daughtry of Geneva, Alabama were confirmed dead at the scene of the crash.

"A Chevy Tahoe crossed the median from the northbound lanes to the southbound lanes," said Wichita County Sheriff David Duke.

The wreck happened around 5:00 p.m. in the southbound lanes of Highway 287 near the FM 1739 exit.

Witnesses said they saw a driver in an SUV in the northbound lanes suddenly veer off the road. The SUV went across the median and into the southbound lanes. Officials said the SUV hit a semi head-on. The impact threw the SUV driver from the vehicle and caused the semi to flip on its side. The driver of the semi became trapped inside the cab.

Officials said a Vernon Ambulance happened to be behind the semi when the crash happened. A paramedic rushed to the semi to try to free the driver, but the semi went up in flames.

"They could hear the driver of the truck they told them he was the only one in the truck he was trapped and couldn't get out. At that point, the semi truck caught on fire and several people came over to try and put the fire out, but everybody said it was in the dead dry grass as well the frame of the truck and the fiberglass hull was just ripped open and it caught on fire pretty quickly and spread rapidly before they could get him out," said Duke.

The flames caused a grass fire that burned about an acre or two of land.

The fire was put out shortly after crews arrived. Electra and Punkin Center fire crews battled the blaze.

Electra PD, Texas DPS Troopers and Wichita County emergency crews all worked the scene.

Paul Harrop, Newschannel 6