Cause Determined on the Fire at Old CertainTeed Building - KAUZ-TV: Newschannel 6 Now | Wichita Falls, TX

Cause Determined on the Fire at Old CertainTeed Building

Fire tore through the old CertainTeed building on Allendale Road.

The cause of the fire has now been determined. Officials tell Newschannel 6 sparks fell from welding being done on some metal cabinets. The sparks fell from the upper portion of the old CertainTeed plant to the lower level, on a fiberglass tank, which caught fire.

It was a four alarm fire. Off duty fire personnel were called in to help with the fire or to fill in for fire protection. Around 1:30 p.m. an employee working inside the building called 911. When the fire department responded, they found the building was burning on several stories. Fiberglass was burning, but it is non toxic.

The City of Wichita Falls issued a CodeRed within a one mile radius of the facility to alert people and to let them know the smoke is non toxic. All toxic chemicals had been removed from plant prior to fire. Small particles of liquid oxygen, propane and gasoline are still in the facility but are considered too small to be a threat.

At 2:30 p.m. all fire dept personnel were pulled outside of the building to do a briefing and a reassess how to fight the fire. 

There were 60 men and 20 fire units on scene.

Paul Harrop, Newschannel 6 

Powered by Frankly