MSU Soccer Wins a Pair of Games

Women Use Strong Finish to Overcome ASU, 2-1

Midwestern State overcame a sluggish first-half to tally a pair of second half goals to roll to a 2-1 Lone Star Conference win over Angelo State Friday night at the ASU Soccer Field.

"I was disappointed with our effort in the first half," MSU coach Jeff Trimble said. "It's past the point now where we can't say we weren't ready for the game. We rely on the other team to wake us up a lot of time."

The Rambelles (5-7-2, 4-4-2) sounded the alarm with a goal in the 20th minute when Maggie Schaffer chipped a shot over MSU goalkeeper Mallory Whitworth's head to give ASU the early edge.

The Mustangs struggled against a hard working Angelo State side into the intermission, then came out a different team.

"We played much more aggressively," Trimble said. "We focused on playing much more blue collar soccer and worked. We realized we had to give 100 percent and we did it. We have to realize we have to put together two halves of hard work."

Fortunately, the Mustangs needed just 45 minutes of solid soccer to take care of the Rambelles.

Junior defender Hanna Staley took care of a loose ball served in on a crossing pass by Maddie Fraser to find the back of the net for the equalizer in the 58th minute.

"She got in a good position to finish it when it was bouncing around off of a few players," Trimble said.

MSU senior forward Kelsey Hill put in the game winner to culminate a beautiful play down the right wing.  Fraser played a ball down the wing to senior forward Lindsay Pritchard who served in a cross to Hill, who headed home her seventh goal of the season.

"It was a beautiful play," Trimble said. "Kelsey was able to run through the ball at full speed."

The Mustangs, who improved to 7-3-2 on the season and 5-3-1 in the LSC, take on Incarnate Word Sunday afternoon at Benson Stadium in San Antonio. Kickoff is set for noon.

Dwyer Leads #22 Men Past RiverHawks in Overtime

Midwestern State senior Chris Dwyer headed in his seventh goal of the season 53 seconds into the first overtime period to give the 22nd-ranked Mustangs a 2-1 result over Northeastern State Friday night at the MSU Soccer Field.
"Our guys felt a lot of pressure tonight," MSU coach Doug Elder said. "I felt they were disappointed coming off of last weekend. We were able to persevere and get the win tonight."
The Mustangs shook off a pair of defeats to improve to 8-3 while pushing NSU to 7-2-2.
The win gives Midwestern a likely leg up in the regional rankings with crucial head-to-head victories over the RiverHawks and Texas A&M International as the trio of teams battle for the second and final NCAA Division II postseason berth behind South Central leading Incarnate Word.
Midwestern and Northeastern State battle once more later this month in Tahlequah.
The Mustangs got out to a quick start as Dwyer threaded a through ball down the right wing for junior David Freeland, who took a couple a touches before blasting the ball past NSU goalkeeper Jordan Ladbrooke in the game's 5th minute.
"We started out well and were in control and then we let them score," Elder said. "We need to be a little tighter in the back."
Northeastern State's Henry Wildenborg collected a loose ball just inside the 18-yard box and drilled an unassisted goal past MSU goalkeeper Michael Wood for the equalizer in 31st minute.
The teams battled evenly over the final 59 minutes and were dead even with 13 shots each and three shots on frame at the end of regulation.
But the Mustangs turned up the aggressiveness in the opening minute of overtime as senior Dean Lovegrove collected an attempted clear and served it back into the box. Dwyer connected on a high arcing header into the back of the net to give MSU the victory.
"Dwyer came through," Elder said. "It was a nice goal and a good challenge. We just have to keep playing and get a win on Sunday."
Midwestern State plays host to Newman (Kan.) Sunday afternoon at the MSU Soccer Field. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.