Flames Destroy A Texoma Man's Home

A devastating fire in Dean claimed the home of a Texoma man.  The early morning flames erupted around 3:30 Friday morning, destroying the owners house, mobile home and fifth wheel.

The homeowner's son says his father Lee McCleod was able to make it out of his home just in time, but was unable to rescue his three dogs that had been sleeping inside.

McCleod, the fire victim was too shaken up to speak on camera.  His son Patrick Herring tells his fathers story.

"He woke up at about 3:30 this morning and he was choking obviously because of the smoke.  He said when he woke up, he opened his eyes and the whole house was full of smoke," says Herring.  "His first thoughts were to look for his dogs because he had them staying in with him because it was cold out."

McCleod searched for his three dogs with no luck.

"He barely got out," Herring says.

Firefighters responded to the scene this morning and our Newschannel 6 cameras were rolling as they battled the flames.  Now returning with his father to what's left of his home this afternoon, Herring says it's very emotional seeing the home in this condition.

"He's still pretty shaken up.  It's going to take him a few days to get his head right, obviously on something like this," he says.  "It's just a very devastating situation."

And with everything but some tools destroyed in the flames, McCleod is left with almost nothing.

"He lost all of his clothes, everything so we're going to try to patch all that up and any help we can get with that would be greatly appreciated," says Herring.

A local business in Wichita Falls, Cadillac Ranch Creations will be collecting donations for McCleod.  They say the public can bring size large shirts, size 32 x 30 pants, and 10.5 shoes to 4020 Rhea Rd., Suite 3C.

Taelor Rian, Newschannel 6.