We've chosen the six best plays of the 2011 high school football season, and now it's time for you to vote on which one is the best!
Here are the nominees, in chronological order:
From September 8th:
- Hirschi's Dominique Bobo recovered a bad snap, then rolled to his right. With three Decatur defenders closing in on him, the lefty threw back against his body, unleashing a perfect spiral to Terry Fields over the middle.
Fields made the catch with a defender draped all over him to pick up the first down!
From September 9th:
- The very next night, Holliday faced Iowa Park in our Dr Pepper Game of the Week. With the Eagles trailing 6-0, Jacob Cole and the offense faced third-and-38 from the Iowa Park 48-yard line.
He is flushed from the pocket and rolls to his left, but finds nothing there. He reverses field and runs back to his right, then on the run he throws downfield to Sam Shirley right at the first-down marker.
Shirley makes the catch, then breaks a tackle and takes it the rest of the way for a touchdown, putting Holliday ahead 7-6 in a game they went on to win 14-12!
From September 30th:
- Hosting Lubbock Christ the King, Notre Dame led 50-7 late in the first half, needing a touchdown to put the game away.
Cody McElroy took the handoff from his own 28-yard line, made two defenders miss, then broke two sure tackles along the sideline to take it in for the score.
That was enough cushion to survive one more CTK touchdown and put it away early, 58-13, on the Knights' road to the state semifinals!
From November 4th:
- On the last night of the regular season, City View hosted Nocona with a playoff spot and the area rushing title on the line.
Leading 14-12 in the second quarter, D.J. Brown took a handoff near midfield, and broke five tackles before breaking free for a 42-yard score, one of three 40+ yard touchdowns he scored that night.
Nocona rallied back to take the game, but Brown's 202 yards were enough to take home the rushing title!
From November 19th:
- Munday faced McCamey in the playoffs at the Mustang Bowl in Sweetwater. Leading 7-0 in the first quarter, Roddrick Taylor took the handoff at the 33-yard line.
He started to his left but was seemingly bottled up there, so he eluded two defenders, made another one miss as he went right, then broke a tackle, squeezed between two more defenders, and cut back across the open field on his way in for the touchdown, as the Moguls routed the Badgers on their way to the state title game!
From December 10th:
- In the Six-Man D-I state championship game, Throckmorton led #1 Borden County 32-16 in the third quarter, facing 4th and goal at the Coyote three-yard line.
C.J. Hantz took the pitch from Tucker Brown, then rolled back to his left but no one was open. He spun to avoid a Borden County defender, then with three of them converging on him, he threw it up into the end zone, where Gary Farquhar was there to make the leaping catch!
That gave the Greyhounds a 40-16 lead in a game they eventually hung on to win 48-36, giving head coach Mike Reed his first-ever state title!
There are your six nominees, make sure to watch the video to see them all!
We'll be spot-lighting one play a day all this week, and you can vote on the Friday Night High School Football Update page as often as you like, until the polls close as the clock strikes midnight to end 2011!