AARP Offering Free Tax Service

The AARP is offering free tax services to Texomans.

Ronald Adams, 71, took advantage of the free service Thursday and has the past six years or so.

"It's very worthwhile," Adams said.

The process is simple.

"They have an interview that they go through with us. We sort out what papers they will need. We give them to one of the counselors that prepares the returns on a computer,"said AARP Tax Volunteer Bill Sharp.

No appointments are necessary and there are no income or age limitations.

To avoid waiting in lines or making an extra trip, make sure you bring a picture ID, your social security card as well as the cards for any dependants' you have, your W2 and ten-99, and any medical or dental payment records you had over the year...

There are four locations in Texoma offering the free service. Two of those are in Wichita Falls, one's in Iowa Park and the other is in Burkburnett.

"People just have to watch out for the scammers... We don't scam here so hahaha," Sharp said.

Under the guidance of the IRS, the sites will be staffed by tax-aide councilors who are IRS tested and certified. AARP sponsors the nations largest free, volunteer-run tax preparation and assistance service helping over 2.5 million taxpayers nationwide last year.

Tax returns will be prepared and assistance offered throughout tax season at:

Red Door Senior Center, 1008 Burnett St., Wichita Falls

Monday & Wednesday 9:30 am - 1:00 PM

The 55 Plus Senior Zone Center, 600 11th St., Room 205 above the Wichita Falls Library

Tuesday & Thursday 9:00 am - 12:00 PM

Friendly Door Senior Center, 810 N. 3rd St., Iowa Park

Monday 9:00 am - 12:00 PM, Beginning February 13th

First United MEthodist Church of Burkburnett, 301 E 4th St., Burkburnett

Thursday 9:00 am - 1:00 PM

To avoid waiting in lines or making an extra trip, make sure you bring:

-A picture I. D.

-Social Security Card as well as the cards for any dependants' you have

-Income related documents such as W-2s, 1099s including SSA 1099

-All documents showing any property taxes paid, home mortgage interest paid, medical/dental expenses paid not re-imbersed by insurance

-All documents for stock or bonds sold or transferred during 2011

-Unemployment compensation statements

-Last years tax return if possible

If you file your tax return electronically and arrange for direct deposit, you can get your refund in as little as 10 days instead of up to 6 weeks if you send a paper return in by mail.

Brittany Glas, Newschannel 6