Child burns down family home - KAUZ-TV: Newschannel 6 Now | Wichita Falls, TX

Child burns down family home

One Wichita Falls family lost their home early Friday morning after their home went up in flames. 

It took firefighters ten minutes to get the flames under control. Damages are estimated at  $50,000. Wichita Falls Fire Marshal David Collins says they are ruling it an accidental fire and no charges will be filed.

Fire and smoke billowed out of the home while Krystal Gonzales sat across the street watching her fathers house go down in flames. When Newschannel 6 crews arrived on scene, Krystal sat in shock watching as her fathers house burned.  She sat in shock trying to replay exactly what happened in her mind. Krystal says she was in the restroom when her son got hold of a lighter and started to play. "He didn't know what he was doing. I feel like it's my fault. I just walked out of the room for one minute."

It just took one minuet for the entire home to go up in flames. In addition Krystal says, "I tried to run and go get some water to put it out. I didn't know what to do." Krystal was in shock. "Everything just caught on fire and it was really hot. I didn't have any shoes or nothing so I didn't know what to do. I just grabbed my son and took off."

Krystal and her son were the only ones in the home at the time and got out safely. Our crews walked in the home and saw all the damage. All the smoke and flames destroyed everything in the home. Despite all the damage and guilt, Kyrstal is just thankful that everyone is safe. She comments, "I'm just glad my son is ok and no one else was in the house."

The Red Cross has stepped in and is helping the family. They have provided temporary shelter, food, and clothing for the next three days.  

Natalie Garcia,  Newschannel 6

Powered by Frankly