Wichita County House Fire - Newschannel 6 Now | Wichita Falls, TX

Wichita County House Fire

Wichita County Sheriff, David Duke believes the cause of a massive structure fire, Wednesday in Wichita County, could be smoking-related.

The fire started in the northeast part of the house, where the owner had been smoking in a chair before the incident. "All indications we have are consistent with smoking material fire, slow smoldering fires," Duke said.  

By the time our Newschannel Six team made it to the scene, around 11 a.m., the house on the block of 1500 Cameron Lane was engulfed in flames.

Cameron Gardens, Wichita East and Iowa Park fire departments were all at the scene, including ten units from the Wichita County Sheriffs Dept.

They managed to put out the flames, that rose up to 40 feet, about two hours later.

"The back part of the house collapsed, roof fell in, so we had to pull it out by hand. that's why we were out there so long," Duke said.

He said no one was home, but there were three dogs and some birds inside, at the time of the fire. None of the animals survived.

Duke said at this time the incident seems to be "100% accidental" with no suspicions of foul play. It's unknown whether the house is a total loss, but the damage is worth at least $60,000 to $80,000.

  • News HeadlinesNewsMore>>

  • Man allegedly killed family, burned bodies in TX

    Man allegedly killed family, burned bodies in TX

    Tuesday, June 19 2018 7:03 AM EDT2018-06-19 11:03:50 GMT
    Tuesday, June 19 2018 8:25 AM EDT2018-06-19 12:25:59 GMT

    Robert Satterfield is facing murder charges in the deaths of a man, woman and their young child.

    Robert Satterfield is facing murder charges in the deaths of a man, woman and their young child.

  • Vows in the air: German couple married in tightrope wedding

    Vows in the air: German couple married in tightrope wedding

    Saturday, June 16 2018 11:08 AM EDT2018-06-16 15:08:58 GMT
    Tuesday, June 19 2018 8:07 AM EDT2018-06-19 12:07:04 GMT
    (Peter Gercke/dpa via AP). Pastor Stefan Gierung, left, stands in a cage atop of a fire service ladder in front of bride Nicole Backhaus, center, and groom Jens Knorr, right, both sitting in a swing dangling under a motorcycle with artist Falko Traber,...(Peter Gercke/dpa via AP). Pastor Stefan Gierung, left, stands in a cage atop of a fire service ladder in front of bride Nicole Backhaus, center, and groom Jens Knorr, right, both sitting in a swing dangling under a motorcycle with artist Falko Traber,...

    A couple in eastern Germany have got married in a swing dangling from a motorcycle atop a tightrope, 14 meters (46 feet) above the ground.

    A couple in eastern Germany have got married in a swing dangling from a motorcycle atop a tightrope, 14 meters (46 feet) above the ground.

  • Toddler climbs pool ladder; parents share video to show danger

    Toddler climbs pool ladder; parents share video to show danger

    Tuesday, June 19 2018 7:27 AM EDT2018-06-19 11:27:24 GMT
    Tuesday, June 19 2018 7:53 AM EDT2018-06-19 11:53:33 GMT

    The family returned the pool ladder, but all the other designs were similar. 

    The family returned the pool ladder, but all the other designs were similar. 

Powered by Frankly