The Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA) is accepting applications for federal funds totaling $1.2 million to revitalize downtown areas in rural Texas.
The Texas Capital Fund awards $50,000 to $150,000 in federal grants to rural Texas cities each year. These grants help fund public infrastructure projects in historic downtown areas. Projects eligible for funding include;
- Public infrastructure improvements
- Acquisition of needed land
- Water and sewer facilities/lines
- Road/street construction/improvements
- Natural gas line construction/improvements
- Electric, telephone, and fiber optic line construction/improvements
- Traffic signals and signs
- Drainage improvements
- Sidewalk construction/improvements, including lighting, ADA ramps and rails
- Public parking lot construction/improvements
- Other construction activities required to eliminate architectural barriers for the handicapped.
All non-entitlement city governments are eligible. These are cities that don't receive direct funding from The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and typically include cities with a population of less than 50,000.