Child Sets House On Fire

A family is homeless after their youngest child set their house on fire.

Our Newschannel 6 crew was at a large house fire around Polk St. and Ave. G near Zundy Junior High School.

Calls about the blaze came out Monday around 11:40 a.m. 14 units responded to the structure fire on the 1700 block of Polk Street.

Officials said a child caused the fire by playing with a cigarette lighter. The child and a teenage sibling were home alone when the fire happened but no one was injured. Their parents were at work.

The family was renting the property. 90% of their personal belongings were destroyed and they didn't have insurance. Red Cross is intervening.