North Central Texas Better Business Bureau recommends college-bound students take the following steps to fight identity theft on campus:
- Update your smartphone's operating system, and protect your home screen with a password. This is to prevent hackers from accessing your devices remotely.
- Send sensitive mail to your parents' home or a post office box. School mailboxes are not always secure and often can be accessed easily in a dorm or apartment.
- Important documents should be stored under lock and key. This includes your Social Security card, passport and bank and credit card statements.
- Never lend your credit or debit card to anyone. Just say no if your friend wants to borrow your card or asks you to co-sign for a loan or financing for items like a TV.
- Make sure your computer has up-to-date antivirus and spyware software. Always install any updates and patches to your computer's operating system or browser software.
- Always check your credit or debit card statements closely for any suspicious activity. The sooner you identify any potential fraud, the less you'll suffer in the long run.