What Happened? Timeline of Sunday Morning Accident

Newschannel 6 is continuing our coverage of an accident Sunday morning that left a police officer and city employee injured.

Many of you have been asking us questions about why the city worker was out there hours after the accident. We learned more about what went down early that morning.

Newschannel 6 spoke with the Wichita Falls Police Department, the Street Department, Big Daddy's Towing and Recovery, TxDOT and the family of city worker, Charles Kriedler who was injured Sunday.

It was a different scene Monday evening on Kell Freeway near Taft Boulevard. There were no flashing lights, no emergency workers but bits and pieces of that night are still visible as seen by broken glass.
Just after midnight Sunday Wichita Falls Police Sgt. Danny Wiggins was working a wreck off Kell Freeway. He was sitting in his patrol car, emergency lights flashing when his vehicle was hit.
Kyle Adams was booked for intoxication assault and Sgt. Wiggins was taken to United Regional.
Wichita Falls Police called out the crash unit. They began their investigation, which according to Public Information Officer Sgt. Spraggins can take a long time. Soon Big Daddy's Towing and Recovery was called in.

A TxDOT worker was also called to check and see if there was any damage to the guardrail and soon a cleanup began. Big Daddy's say they left the scene between 3:30 and 3:45 a.m. As a wrecker service they clean up after accidents but they couldn't clean up everything. They tell Newschannel 6 bits and pieces of glass were still scattered throughout the area.

That's when city employee Charles Kriedler was called by police to clean up the debris. At 4:30 a.m. he was hit by a vehicle. Many had wondered why, hours after the wreck, the city worker was out there. We're told police wait on calling them in until the crash investigation is complete.

Details are sketchy as to whether the employee followed proper procedures. We do know he had a safety vest on. Sgt. Spraggins says police do stay on scene with employees when they clean up "if" the employee requests it. Was it requested? That we are still unsure of.

As of Monday morning Sgt. Wiggins was still at United Regional with unknown injuries. The brother of Charles Kriedler says he is currently at Parkland Hospital and will undergo surgery for his pelvis. Officials say the man who hit Kriedler claims he did not see the worker and as of right now is not facing any charges.

Police should have a full report from the investigation of that accident Tuesday.

Crystal Hall Newschannel 6