The Plantation Apartments Go Up In Flames

Nearly 20 units were called to downtown Wichita Falls around 9a.m. Wednesday for a fire that started in an apartment at the Plantation.

All residents were evacuated without injury, but one firefighter was sent to the hospital with non-life threatening burns.

Officials believe it was an electrical fire that started in one of the bedrooms. Latasha Murphy and her husband were asleep in the apartment when they woke up to smoke filling their lungs.

"I couldn't breathe!" Latasha said. "I couldn't do nothing. He kept banging, tapping and shaking me," Latasha said of her husband trying to wake her up to get out of the apartment.

The fire damage was contained to the one unit, but several other apartments were damaged by water from firefighters battling the flames. Residents from three apartments are being helped by the American Red Cross.

"When you go to the scene of a fire, and there's people that are confused, and they don't know where they're going to turn next or what they're going to do...And even though you're giving something to them and you feel like you're not really giving enough to them, it's something for them to at least start," said Red Cross Volunteer Coordinator Duke Osborn.