Before you start your holiday shopping, consumer groups want parents to know about some dangerous toys to avoid. Many are too loud or pose choking hazards. The worst offenders can land children in the hospital or lead to death.
This year's Trouble in Toyland report from the US Public Interest Research Group pointed out the most dangerous toys contain small, high-powered magnets. In the last two years, more than 1,000 children nationwide have swallowed them and ended up in the emergency room, some seen with holes in the intestine.
U-S Consumer Products Safety Commissioners have asked the companies to stop selling magnets voluntarily. While most agreed, two refused. The Commission is now proposing regulations that would take them off the market for good.
Choking hazards are also a concern. The consumer product safety commission uses a tiny tube to check the threat. If part of the toy can fit inside, it's banned for children under three years of age. Some consumer advocates argue that the test tube should be bigger - like the size of a toilet paper roll - to stop even more toys from hitting store shelves.
Then there are the toys that are too loud and can hurt developing ears. One in five children will experience some hearing loss by the age of 12.
The one bright spot in this year's report is that far fewer toys are being made with lead and other toxins thanks to a 2008 product safety law that forced toymakers to keep metals and chemicals out of their products.