A winter wonderland can be a winter nightmare for anyone daring to take on the road. Before you drive out on the snow-covered or icy road, make sure your vehicle is winterized.
Start with a checkup:
- Check the ignition, brakes, wiring, hoses and fan belts.
- Change and adjust the spark plugs.
- Check the air, fuel and emission filters, and the PCV valve.
- Inspect the distributor.
- Check the battery.
- Check the tires for air, sidewall wear and tread depth.
- Check antifreeze levels and the freeze line.
Pack your car with necessary equipment:
- Have full tank of gas, and fresh anti-freeze
- Carry following items in your trunk:
- Properly inflated spare tire, wheel wrench and tripod-type jack
- Jumper cables
- Tow and tire chains
- Bag of salt or cat litter
- Tool kit
Be prepared with a "survival kit":
- Working flashlight and extra batteries
- Reflective triangles and brightly-colored cloth
- First aid kit
- Exterior windshield cleaner
- Ice scraper and snow brush
- Wooden stick matches in a waterproof container
- Scissors and string/cord
- Non-perishable, high-energy foods like unsalted canned nuts, dried fruits, and hard candy.
- Carry supplies to keep you warm such as heavy woolen mittens, socks, a cap and blankets.