A Bowie woman is recovering from one of two weekend fires that destroyed two homes.
The first fire started Saturday around 1:30 a.m. at the victim's home on Hwy. 59. Bowie Fire Chief Doug Page said the woman fell asleep on her porch and a space heater caught her blanket on fire. She was able to get away as the fire spread to the home.
The victim is in stable condition at Bowie Memorial Hospital.
Page said an electrical power-line fell, and prevented Bowie Rural firefighters from saving the house. The chief added the house next door suffered minor heat damage.