Man Accidentally Burns Part Of Grandmother's Home - KAUZ-TV: Newschannel 6 Now | Wichita Falls, TX

Man Accidentally Burns Part Of Grandmother's Home

Posted: Updated:

On Monday around 1:30 p.m. Mackie Hayes was using a torch he put together to burn some weeds on the flower bed of his grandmother's yard when all of a sudden things took a wrong turn.

"My neighbor ran out to me and asked me Mackie are you smoking meat today? I said I'm not smoking anything. She said well your house is smoking. And I look behind me and there it was and I had to call the fire department," said Hayes.

Part of the grass on the flower bed caught fire and it quickly spread to the siding of the house. The flames made it all the way to the attic.

"Good golly mighty, what the heck have I done. That was the first thing that came to my mind," said Hayes.

Four units from the Wichita Falls Fire Department responded to the scene and contained the fire in a matter of minutes. Fire Marshall David Collins told me there were about $7,000 worth of damages to the home but the structure wasn't compromised. Hayes says he was advised to just get some electrical work done but what he's mostly worried about are his actions. He says he should've never used the torch that close to the house.

"Stupidity runs in my family and I got a really big dose of it so it's just not been too glamorous being stupid and I'm stuck on that, stupid," said Hayes.

Officials say most of the damage was caused by smoke and no one was injured.

 

Tanya De Jesus, Newschannel 6