Calls to the Better Business Bureau indicate there has been an increase in electric companies soliciting business by going door to door. The Better Business Bureau would like to provide you with some helpful tips and information on selecting a Retail Electric Provider:
- Do not make a purchasing decision while someone is at your doorstep, do not share your electric bill or meter number until you have time to research the offer.
- Start by contacting the Public Utilities Commission or visiting www.powertochoose.orgfor a list of Retail Electric Providers in your area.
- Contact your Better Business Bureau for a Reliability Report on a company as part of your research.
- Make sure when comparing rates, you are comparing apples to apples and be sure you know your average usage amount, your price per kilowatt, terms of the contract, and if a deposit is required.
- Do not be misled by an introductory offer that will increase in three months.