Battling Grass Fire's as a Team

Battling Grass Fire's as a Team

Multiple fire crews were called out to a large grass fire between Burkburnett and Iowa Park Wednesday afternoon. Teams worked for hours in the scorching heat to battle the flames.

A large grass fire burned at an oil lease, about a mile from FM 368 and Walker Road. The fire started around 2:30pm Wednesday and gave firefighters some trouble, burning about 50 acres of land.

"Heavy mesquites. We had some oil lease lines we could get through with that, oil lease roads. We had to wait on those to get in here and punch some line. Eventually, we got a line put in, we got some fence cut and we got it contained," said Burkburnett firefighter, Jared Burchett.

The fire fell in Burkburnett's response area, but crews from Iowa Park, Freiburg-Cooper, and Wichita West were called out as well. With a heat advisory in effect Burchett said, conditions made it more important to work together.

"It's not really different except the amount of fatigue it plays on the firemen and that's why it's really important to get more mutual aid, more mutual aid groups coming in and out, more departments coming in to help you and so we've got more boots on the ground," said Burchett.

With over eight trucks at the fire sharing water, an Iowa Park tanker stayed close while crews from Burkburnett and Freiburg-Cooper came to re-fill their brush trucks.

"We work with each other all the time and we train with each other all the time; it's second nature, it's your second family so everything works well," said Burchett.

Firefighters contained the flames with back burns as oil lines sent plumes of black smoke billowing in the air.

"We'll send crews back out tomorrow around lunch time and we'll continue to monitor it throughout the next evening, probably throughout the next three or four days, with the drought conditions and the weather we've been dealing with," said Burchett.

No one was hurt in the fire and at no point were any structures, people, or animals in any danger. Fire crews said, the oil lines were cut off so there was no risk of explosion.

Jenyne Donaldson, Newschannel 6.