Wichita General Hospital was one of the first joint city-county hospitals, modeled on San Antonio-Bexar county. The original red brick structure was built for $35,000, opening in November, 1915. General was a part of Wichita Falls landscape, participating in the birth, life, and death of countless numbers of Wichita County residents plus citizens from the surrounding north Texas and southern Oklahoma area. Over the years, the red brick three story structure had become shrouded in multiple expansions and renovations. The closing and ultimate razing of the building struck an emotional chord in many people.
From the time the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth arrived in Wichita Falls to found Bethania Hospital in 1935 until they left in 2006, they provided health and spiritual compassion to the thousands who passed through the hospital doors.
As one of the most visible programs of the Texas Historical Commission (THC), historical markers commemorate diverse topics, including: the history and architecture of houses, commercial and public buildings, religious congregations, and military sites; events that changed the course of local and state history; and individuals who have made lasting contributions to our state, community organizations, and businesses.