Construction started Wednesday on a highway safety project in Wichita Falls.
Crews are going to widen and upgrade the intersection of State Highway 79 and Professional Drive.
The first phase of the project will focus on replacing a culvert on Professional just south of the highway. The city will have to close a road for three to five days during this specific construction. Detour signs will be in place.
The overall project will
- Widen SH-79 along the Walmart property
- Give Westbound motorists three lanes at the Professional intersection
- Give Eastbound motorists two lanes
- Professional traffic will be striped for two lanes
- All directions will get turn lanes
- Add new traffic signals and additional street lighting
The Texas Department of Transportation is in charge of this project.
TxDOT will also add sidewalks to the area. The sidewalks are needed because of an increase in pedestrian traffic since the Walmart opened.
A.L. Helmcamp Construction is doing the work for TxDOT.