Second Chance For Pets

Texomans are responding to a story we told you on Thursday about a heartbreaking case of animal cruelty.  A woman pleaded guilty to starving her dog to death because she said she didn't have the money to take care of it.

Many Texomans posted on out Facebook page about why the defendant didn't do anything for the dog.  Especially since there are so many other options out there.

For example, one person commented, “If you don't have the money to take care of the dog, take it somewhere.”  Another person said, “I understand she was having a hard time making ends meet, but she could have taken the poor dog to the Humane Society.”

Newschannel 6 wanted to learn what options are available in case anyone is having a hard time caring for their pets.

“If people are getting in a financial bind with the animal, they don't know what they can do,” Justin Brucker, an Animal Control Officer for the City of Wichita Falls, “First thing, call your Animal Control be it whatever city you are in.  They'll let you know options.”

There are many options.  You can call the Animal Control in your area and they will get you in touch with the right people.  This could include animal rescues, veterinarians, shelters, animal services, and more.

Brucker said, “You're more than welcome to bring the animal in and if you've exhausted all your options, you feel you don't know what to do, we can take the animal in for a low cost.”

Surrendering your animal is an option, but it might cost you a small fee.  If you live inside the city limits in Wichita Falls, you have to go to Animal Control.  If you live outside of Wichita Falls, but in Wichita County, you can take it to the Humane Society of Wichita County.  Animal Control can also get you in touch with any of the animal rescues in the area.

“If somebody comes into surrender their animal, the fee is $25,” Brucker said, “If for whatever reason they don't have the money, we will work with them.”

Cheryl Miller, Director of the Humane Society of Wichita County said they do the same thing, but their prices are different.  Surrendering an animal costs $35.

If the animal is too ill or it's a life threatening situation, Wichita Falls Animal Control and the Humane Society of Wichita County will euthanize the animal.  The cost will depend on the size of the animal.  At the Wichita Falls Animal Control it's $20-$40.  At the Humane Society of Wichita County it's $45 for a small or medium sized animal and $55 for a large animal.  However, both organizations will recommend you go to a veterinarian first.

If you surrender the animal it's a one time fee to give the animal a second chance.

You can also go to the P.E.T.S. Low Cost Spay and Neuter Clinic.  They have a pet pantry to help out with food.

, Newschannel 6