MSU Campus Cleared After Bomb Threat

Police at Midwestern State University are investigating a bomb threat that happened on Monday.

This morning the university received an e-mail.  One of our academic advisors received the e-mail with a credible bomb threat," Julie Gaynor, The MSU Public Information Officer said.

She got the e-mail around 9:30a.m.  When she saw it, she told on campus authorities and they immediately took action.  MSU sent out alerts to the students, faculty, and students telling them to leave campus.  President Jesse Rogers was the one to activate the evacuation.

"Right now, south campus has been cleared so the Wellness Center and the Sikes Center are available to our students," Gaynor said.

The south side of campus was the first area to be cleared on campus.  This is where students were told to go.  Even students who live on campus were forced to leave.

"The first thing we want to do on the evacuation, because it was on campus and we didn't know a specific area, we want everyone to leave campus," Gaynor said.

The Wichita Falls Police Department and the Wichita Falls Fire Department teamed up with MSU Campus Police to check all of the buildings.  They also blocked off all of the entrances to the campus to make sure no one could get in, or out.

"With the help of the Wichita Police Department and the Wichita Fire Department and the Midwestern Police Department were able to get through the buildings pretty quick," Dan Williams, the MSU Campus Police Chief said.

They checked all of the buildings to see if there was anything suspicious.  It took them just over two and a half hours to search all of the buildings and they didn't find anything out of the ordinary. 

Once the buildings were cleared, campus officials decided to reopen the campus.  At around students were told they could come back on campus and that everything was safe.  

With Monday being the start of finals week at MSU, many students thought it was a hoax.  However, officials take every threat seriously.

"It's hard to determine what's credible and what's not.  The vast majority of, statistics tell us, of bomb threats are hoaxes," Williams said.

Final exams resumed at 1:p.m.  Only one final time was affected on Monday, but it has been rescheduled to Thursday evening.

Now the e-mail is being looked at to find out where it came from and who sent it.

This isn't the first time this has happened.  Last semester, another bomb threat was made and after investigating is was determined to be a hoax.

, Newschannel 6