Wichita Falls, TX -
Do you think you are experiencing flu like symptoms? If so, you are not alone. Many Texomans have been packing into Community Healthcare Center for treatment.
Newschannel 6 found out symptoms people are suffering from could be the flu or even carbon monoxide poisoning.
"Now that I am working in the clinic I may not see that many patients when I was working in the hospital, I would see it more frequently," said Dr. Anil Gajare, a pediatrician, at Community Healthcare Center.
Carbon monoxide also known as CO sends thousands of people to United States emergency rooms each year. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention said more than 400 people will not even make it there.
"It's a quick poison and you can die in a matter of hours," said Dr. Gajare.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to the flu where you may experience headache, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, weakness and dizziness.
Dr. Gajare said knowing the similarities and differences could be a lifesaver.
"The biggest differential between both of them is that in flu we see fever as a main symptom," said Gajare.
While that may be a key indicator for doctors to diagnosis their patients, experts said simply taking five minutes to install a carbon monoxide detector can save you a trip to the emergency room and most importantly your life.
The average carbon monoxide dector in Wichita Falls cost between $20-40.
The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends the average homeowner have at least one carbon monoxide dector. Experts said best practices are to check them twice a year during daylight savings time.