Water Leak Floods City View Junior/Senior High School Overnight

Water Leak Floods City View Junior/Senior High School Overnight

Wichita Falls, TX -

The Wichita Falls Police Department was called out to City View Junior/Senior High School overnight after a water leak triggered alarms.

School officials verified that the leak came from a busted pipe in the ceiling near the band hall. The pipe was immediately fixed, once the school identified the problem, according to Principal Weathersbee.

Maintenance crews said a main corridor, multiple classes and the cafeteria were flooded. The water impacted a home economics classroom, two computer labs, the library, and front of the band hall hallway.

All carpet in the classrooms were damaged, as well as, one wall, according to Principal Weathersbee. The school district is still working to figure out the exact cost of damage.

ServiceMaster of Wichita Falls crews were called to the scene around 5:30 a.m. That's when they set up crews to start extracting water from the building.

"It's a very large loss," said Larry Green with ServiceMaster. "The pit, they call it, which is part of the cafeteria, that's a sunk in area, had probably a foot to foot and a half of water in it."

Throughout the school day, trucks and portable extractors could be seen sucking the water from the school building. It was a process that took six hours.

"All the water is gone, floors are mopped and cleaned," said Green.  "It looks great in there. Equipment is almost set up."

The additional equipment will be used to help completely dry the rest of the building, a process that could take many days.

"We check it daily to make sure everything is getting dry with moisture meters, so they don't have mold," said Green. "That is the main goal, to get it cleaned up and no mold."

The extent of the damage is unknown at this time, according to school officials. But that damage will be monitored by the school and ServiceMaster of Wichita Falls.

"We may have to pull cove base, the rubber baseboard around the walls, we may have to do that off the walls, and get holes drilled into sheet rock so that air can get inside of the walls," said Green.

Although the leak has caused a lot of hassle, it has not caused any health concerns for students.

"There are no safety hazards at all," said Green. "We've mopped everything down with an antimicrobial disinfectant."

City View Superintendent Steve Harris said classes will run as scheduled throughout the process. The classes scheduled for the rooms damaged will be moved.

, Newschannel 6