FEMA Disaster Assistance Available For Residents In Wichita County

FEMA Disaster Assistance Available For Residents In Wichita County

Wichita Falls, TX

- Some Texoma residents are still recovering after the record rainfall last month. Residents in that live in Wichita county can now apply for disaster assistance through the Federal Emergency Management Agency also known as FEMA.

Two counties in Texoma, Wichita and Montague are amongst more than 20 counties in the state that may now apply for federal disaster assistance.

Residents who received damage as a result of severe storms, tornadoes, straight-line winds and flooding that began as early as may fourth can apply.

Greg Hughes, spokesman for FEMA told Newschannel 6 this intake center is an opportunity for homeowners and renters in these areas to meet staff face-to-face, and take advantage of grants or loans to assist in any damage they may have received due to weather related events.

"Our assistance is available to anybody who had insurance or who did not have insurance. and for those who did have insurance, they may be ways we can help where insurance laid off," said Hughes.

FEMA staff says residents should have the following information when they visit the registration intake center:

  • Your address, zip code
  • A detailed list of damage to home
  • Insurance information
  • Social Security number
  • Contact number
  • Mailing address

The registration intake center will be open through June 17 at the Wichita Falls Public Library, on the second floor. Registration will take place from 8 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Closed on Sundays.

FEMA officials tell Newschannel 6 that it usually takes residents up to week to receive assistance. They may either get the funds by direct deposit to their bank account or by check in the mail. However, those who get direct deposit usually receive theirs first.

DISCLAIMER: The deadline to register at the Wichita County site is June 15, but that does not mean you cannot apply for assistance after that date. You can also apply online at

or 1-800-621-3362.

Jimmie Johnson, Newschannel 6