Remembering WFPD Officer Calvin Ealey

Remembering WFPD Officer Calvin Ealey

Wichita Falls, TX - We are now learning more about the Wichita Falls Police officer who was killed over the weekend in a motorcycle crash.

Police said the officer was off-duty when he crashed his bike at the intersection of Call Field Street and Kemp Boulevard.

Many in the community who knew WFPD officer Calvin Ealey describe him as a man who loved his family, riding on two wheels and giving back to the community.

Wichita Falls Police say Special Operations Officer Calvin Ealey crashed his bike just after 3 a.m. Sunday morning.

Police said when the 45-year-old lost control of his bike, he hit a curb and then a light pole.

The officer was not wearing a helmet during the crash. Following the incident, he was transported to a nearby hospital and died Sunday afternoon.

Wichita Falls Police Chief Manuel Borrego told Newschannel 6 it was not uncommon for the officer to be out that early because of his work schedule.

The officer was on the force for nearly nine years.

"He was a very dedicated, very professional officer, who served our community and he will be sorely missed by our police department," said Chief Borrego.

A number of people in the community also sent out thoughtful condolences to the family and police department on social media.

Lyn Smith wrote on Facebook, "Praying for him and his family. I just saw him supporting his son play football yesterday."

The Bowie Police Department says, "Our thoughts and prayers go to officer Ealey's family and the Wichita Falls Police Department."

Newschannel 6 Meteorologist Ken Johnson commented, "Calvin is a great man and father. Very involved with his son Shaun and coaching with Boys and Girls Club football. Very sad. "

Officer Ealey leaves behind a wife and two young boys. Police are asking for the community's continued prayers for his family and the department.

No word yet on the exact cause of his death and if funeral arrangements are being made.

Stay with Newschannel 6 as we continue to follow this developing story.

Jimmie Johnson, Newschannel 6