(1) Mustangs Stunned by (8) LCU

WICHITA FALLS, TX - In front of a large home crowd, the No. 1 seeded Midwestern State Mustangs were bounced from the NCAA tournament in the first round Saturday by Lubbock Christian in overtime, 79-73.

The eighth-seeded Chaps were not intimidated by the Mustangs, and made shot after shot in both halves to stun the host team in the South Central Regional. LCU improves to 21-9 and will play Tarleton State in Sunday's second round game.

The Mustangs' season ends at 24-6, also snapping an eight-game winning streak that saw them win the LSC regular-season and postseason tournament, helping them earn the region's top seed.

Up by 16 at halftime, LCU saw the home team roar back, grabbing the lead and momentum. But trailing 60-56 with 2:15 left, the Chaps didn't back down, hitting four free throws to pull even and force overtime, while MSU couldn't score again in regulation.

In the extra session, the Chaps got a couple of layups to go up four, while the Mustangs simply went cold from the floor. In overtime, MSU, playing without one of their top scorers in Bretson McNeal, who had fouled out, couldn't get shots to fall, missing seven of their first 10 attempts. Meanwhile, LCU got some inside play from Brennan Fowler, who made three baskets, including two hook shots in the paint to keep LCU in front.

Fowler and Marcus Arrington each scored 14 points while Schuster had 13 and Matthew Alford added 11. For the Mustangs, four players scored in double figures, led by Hershell Grant's career-high 18, to go along with eight rebounds. Jordan Stevens scored 17 points but shot seven of 21 from the field, including 1 of 11 from 3-point land. Khapri Alston had 12 points and 12 rebounds, while Pat Smith scored 10 off the bench.

In the first half, the Chaps found a way to offset all of MSU's strengths, battling the Mustangs on the boards and contesting shots. MSU missed eight of its first 10 field goal attempts, setting a theme that wouldn't change much the rest of the night.

On the other end, LCU's first half saw several made baskets late in the shot clock, including a fade-away 3-pointer by Schuster just before halftime. To make matters worse, MSU's Smith hit a 70-foot shot but the officials ruled the shot was attempted after the buzzer.

However, the Mustangs came out of the locker room on fire, scoring the first seven points and managed to pull all the way even at 49 with about 11 minutes to play.

A couple of minutes later, MSU grabbed their first lead and had control of the game but couldn't put the Chaps away. Twice in the final five minutes, MSU had the ball with a four-point edge. Once, McNeal's 3-pointer rimmed out and another time MSU missed two layups on a fast-break attempt.

With the game tied at 60-60, LCU had the last possession of regulation but MSU's Trevor Fuller swatted away a layup attempt and this time Smith's 70-foot heave didn't fall, forcing the extra session, which was dominated by the Chaps.

Copyright 2016 KAUZ Sports/MSU Athletic Communications All Rights Reserved