STEPHENVILLE, TX (KAUZ) - Senior Maddie Schorlemmer became the eighth player in Midwestern State women's tennis history to reach 100 career wins Wednesday afternoon as the 20th-ranked Mustangs cruised past Tarleton State in their Lone Star Conference opener, 8-1.
Schorlemmer notched her 100th career victory in doubles play, teaming up with freshman Greta Lazzarotto at the No. 3 position to record a dominant 8-1 victory over the duo of Ellie Stevens and Taylor Porter. Ranked 27th in the national singles rankings, Schorlemmer claimed her fourth-straight win at No. 1 singles and clinched the match for Midwestern State (12-5) with a 6-4, 6-1 triumph over Ashleigh Elward to improve to 11-5 on the season.
The Argyle native is the second player to reach the 100-win plateau this season, following in the footsteps of fellow senior Lauren Pineda who eclipsed the mark on Mar. 13 in a 9-0 sweep of Colorado Mesa at the MSU Tennis Center. Schorlemmer now sits at 101-34 (.748) for her career and also joins Lacey Wuthrich (2002-05), Emilee Black (2000-03), Brooke Gray (2000-03), Sara Butler (1999-2002), Marsha Meyer (1998-2001) and Taylor Coffman (2012-15) on the 100-win list.
Tarleton State (12-5) earned its lone point of the day at No. 2 doubles as Elward and Erika Richarme defeated Pineda and junior Abby White, 8-2, to even the match at 1-1. However, the 23rd-ranked duo of senior Lindsay Nochowicz and freshman Eirini Kontaki propelled the Mustangs to a lead heading into singles play after an 8-4 decision at No. 1 doubles.
White reached 10 wins on the year with a 6-0, 6-1 result at No. 6 singles before Pineda won her team-best 12th match of the season with a 6-1, 6-2 victory on court four to lead up to Schorlemmer's clincher.
Kontaki and Lazzarotto escaped with a pair of super tiebreaker wins on courts two and three, respectively, to extend the MSU lead to 7-1 before Nochowicz tallied a 7-5, 7-5 win at No. 5 for the 8-1 final.
Midwestern State returns home for a pair of matches against NJCAA opponents Friday at the MSU Tennis Center. The Mustangs begin the day against Collin College (Texas) at 10 a.m. before facing off against Seward County (Kan.) at 3 p.m.
No. 20 Midwestern State 8, Tarleton State 1
Apr. 6, 2016 at Stephenville, Texas (Potishman-Lard Tennis Courts)
1. No. 27 Maddie Schorlemmer (MSU) def. Ashleigh Elward (TSU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Eirini Kontaki (MSU) def. Erika Richarme (TSU) 7-6 (7-4), 4-6, 10-5
3. Greta Lazzarotto (MSU) def. Luiza Adas (TSU) 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 10-5
4. Lauren Pineda (MSU) def. Ellie Stevens (TSU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Lindsay Nochowicz (MSU) def. Elena Preadca (TSU) 7-5, 7-5
6. Abby White (MSU) def. Taylor Porter (TSU) 6-0, 6-1
1. No. 23 Eirini Kontaki/Lindsay Nochowicz (MSU) def. Luiza Adas/Elena Preadca (TSU) 8-4
2. Ashleigh Elward/Erika Richarme (TSU) def. Lauren Pineda/Abby White (MSU) 8-2
3. Maddie Schorlemmer/Greta Lazzarotto (MSU) def. Ellie Stevens/Taylor Porter (TSU) 8-1
Midwestern State 12-5; National ranking #20
Tarleton State 12-5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,4,1,2,3,5)