WICHITA FALLS, TX - The Midwestern State men's tennis team appeared at No. 2 in the first set of South Central Regional rankings released by the NCAA Division II Men's Tennis Committee Wednesday afternoon.
Midwestern State is 12-5 on the season with an 8-3 mark against NCAA Division II opponents. The Mustangs sport a perfect 7-0 in-region mark and will close out their 2016 season with four regional opponents in their final six matches.
Cameron topped the initial South Central Regional rankings with a 10-1 in-region record while St. Mary's (8-3), Western New Mexico (10-4) and St. Edward's (5-3) rounded out the top five.
The top four teams in the region will qualify for the NCAA Regional Tournament, which will take place May 7-10 at select campus sites. The top two teams from the South Central Region will move on to the NCAA championship site, which will be held at the Gates Tennis Center in Denver, May 18-21.
The Midwestern State women's tennis team came in fourth in the initial set of South Central Regional rankings released by the NCAA Division II Women's Tennis Committee Wednesday afternoon.
Midwestern State carries a 14-6 record on the season and is 10-4 against Division II opponents and 9-2 versus in-region competition. MSU's loss to No. 17 Cameron Tuesday was not included in this week's rankings.
St. Mary's appeared atop the regional poll with a perfect 8-0 record against regional foes this season. Cameron (11-1) and St. Edward's (10-1) came in second and third in the poll while Newman (9-5) and Tarleton State (8-3) rounded out the top six in the regional rankings.
The top four teams in the region will qualify for the NCAA Regional Tournament, which will take place May 7-10 at select campus sites. The top two teams from the South Central Region will move on to the NCAA championship site, which will be held at the Gates Tennis Center in Denver, Colo., May 18-21.
Junior Ramon Toyos and freshmanDillon Pineda each recorded wins in singles action Wednesday evening, but No. 11 Midwestern State would fall short of an upset against NCAA Division I Abilene Christian in a 5-2 defeat to the Wildcats at Eager Tennis Pavilion.
It was a close battle the entire way between the two teams with Abilene Christian (18-8) earning a pair of 7-5 doubles wins on courts one and two while coming away with a 6-4 victory at No. 3 to take an early 1-0 advantage.
The Wildcats stretched their lead to 3-0 with straight-set wins at Nos. 6 and 3 singles before Josh Sheehy defeated senior Kyle Davidson in a three-set match at No. 1 singles, 2-6, 6-1, 6-4, to clinch the match for ACU.
Davidson's match was one of four that went to a decisive third set for Midwestern State (12-6) as freshman Radu Popa fell to Henry Adams in a tight decision on court five, 6-4, 4-6, 6-4.
Toyos and Pineda put the Mustangs on the board to conclude the match with Toyos tallying a 6-2, 3-6, 6-4 win at No. 2 over Jason Proctor before Pineda defeated Hunter Holman, 6-7 (5), 6-4, 7-6 (2), on court four to record his team-leading 12th win of the season.
Midwestern State continues its road swing Friday with a 2 p.m. match against No. 33 St. Edward's (Texas) at the Strohmeyer Varsity Courts in Austin.
Abilene Christian 5, No. 11 Midwestern State 2
Apr. 13, 2016 at Abilene, Texas (Eager Tennis Pavilion)
1. Josh Sheehy (ACU) def. No. 44 Kyle Davidson (MSU) 2-6, 6-1, 6-4
2. Ramon Toyos (MSU) def. Jason Proctor (ACU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
3. Nico Agritelley (ACU) def. Chris Norrie (MSU) 6-3, 6-1
4. Dillon Pineda (MSU) def. Hunter Holman (ACU) 6-7 (5-7), 6-4, 7-6 (7-2)
5. Henry Adams (ACU) def. Radu Popa (MSU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
6. Paul Domanski (ACU) def. Benjamin Neander (MSU) 6-2, 6-4
1. Henry Adams/Nico Agritelley (ACU) def. No. 19 Kyle Davidson/Ramon Toyos (MSU) 7-5
2. Jason Proctor/Paul Domanski (ACU) def. Dillon Pineda/Zack Santagate (MSU) 7-5
3. Josh Sheehy/Sebastian Langdon (ACU) def. Radu Popa/Chris Norrie (MSU) 6-4
Midwestern State 12-6; National ranking #11
Abilene Christian 18-8
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,3,1,5,2,4)
The 20th-ranked Midwestern State women's tennis team suffered their first sweep of the 2016 season Wednesday evening as NCAA Division I Abilene Christian tallied a 7-0 win over the Mustangs at Eager Tennis Pavilion.
Abilene Christian (19-6) claimed two of three doubles matches before recording five of six singles wins in straight sets to earn the victory over the Mustangs.
Sophomore Amy Clifton and freshman Greta Lazzarottoteamed up for the first time this season to post a win at No. 3 doubles for Midwestern State (14-7), defeating the duo of Nada Marjanovic and Andrea Crook, 6-4. However, the Wildcats clinched the doubles point with a 6-2 win on court two and a 6-3 victory at No. 1.
ACU followed with wins from Jordan Henry, Kaysie Hermsdorf and Marjanovic to clinch the victory. SeniorMaddie Schorlemmer looked to put the Mustangs on the board late at No. 1 singles, forcing a super tiebreaker with a 6-2 win in the second set before falling to ACU's Erin Walker, 6-3, 2-6, 10-5, to conclude the match.
Midwestern State next travels to Austin for a 9 a.m. match Friday against No. 41 St. Edward's at the Strohmeyer Varsity Courts.
Abilene Christian 7, No. 20 Midwestern State 0
Apr. 13, 2016 at Abilene, Texas (Eager Tennis Pavilion)
1. Erin Walker (ACU) def. No. 27 Madeline Schorlemmer (MSU) 6-3, 2-6, 10-5
2. Kaysie Hermsdorf (ACU) def. Eirini Kontaki (MSU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Lucile Pothier (ACU) def. Lindsay Nochowicz (MSU) 6-0, 6-3
4. Nada Marjanovic (ACU) def. Greta Lazzarotto (MSU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Whitney Williams (ACU) def. Abby White (MSU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Jordan Henry (ACU) def. Alexis Arrieta (MSU) 6-0, 6-1
1. Erin Walker/Whitney Williams (ACU) def. No. 23Lindsay Nochowicz/Eirini Kontaki (MSU) 6-3
2. Kaysie Hermsdorf/Lucile Pothier (ACU) def. Abby White/Maddie Schorlemmer (MSU) 6-2
3. Greta Lazzarotto/Amy Clifton (MSU) def. Nada Marjanovic/Andrea Crook (ACU) 6-4
Midwestern State 14-7; National ranking #20
Abilene Christian 19-6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,2,4,3,5,1)