ARLINGTON, TX (KAUZ) - The 11th-ranked Midwestern State men's tennis team fell to its second NCAA Division I opponent this week with a 4-0 setback to UT Arlington Saturday afternoon at the UTA Tennis Center.
Just 16 hours after earning a 5-2 win over No. 33 St. Edward's in Austin, Midwestern State (13-7) took the courts in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex to take on a UT Arlington (15-10) squad that has suffered just one loss at home this season.
The Mavericks came away with wins at No. 2 and 3 doubles to move ahead 1-0 after doubles play. UTA then notched wins on the top two courts with Guanarteme Nuez defeating senior Kyle Davidson at No. 1 singles, 6-2, 6-3, and Jhonathan Gonzalez earning a 6-1, 6-2 win over junior Ramon Toyos on court two.
Carlos Abiza clinched the win for the Mavericks at the No. 5 position, defeating freshman Benjamin Neander, 6-3, 6-2.
Midwestern State closes out the regular season at home next week with three matches at the MSU Tennis Center. The Mustangs begin their homestand Monday at 3 p.m. with a match against No. 24 Southeastern Oklahoma State.
UT Arlington 4, No. 11 Midwestern State 0
Apr. 16, 2016 at Arlington, Texas (UTA Tennis Center)
1. Guanarteme Nuez (UTA) def. No. 44 Kyle Davidson (MSU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Jhonathan Gonzalez (UTA) def. Ramon Toyos (MSU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Daniel Armengol (UTA) vs. Chris Norrie (MSU) 6-1, 4-2, unfinished
4. Mario Muniesa (UTA) vs. Dillon Pineda (MSU) 6-1, 4-3, unfinished
5. Carlos Arbiza (UTA) def. Benjamin Neander (MSU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Mauricio Del Rio (UTA) vs. Dylan Hall (MSU) 6-0, 5-3, unfinished
1. Carlos Arbiza/Mauricio Del Rio (UTA) vs. No. 19 Kyle Davidson/Ramon Toyos (MSU) 5-2, unfinished
2. Daniel Armengol/Jhonathan Gonzalez (UTA) def. Zack Santagate/Dillon Pineda (MSU) 6-1
3. Guanarteme Nuez/Mario Muniesa (UTA) def. Chris Norrie/Daniel Gallivoda (MSU) 6-2
Midwestern State 13-7; National ranking #11; Regional ranking #2
UT Arlington 15-10
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (2,1,5)
The Azusa Pacific Stadium record fell and nine runners bested the Bryan Clay Invitational record in a very deep and fast women's 1,500-meter run field Friday night.
All of that resulted in a more than respectable time of 4:39.98 for MSU freshman Bridget Reilly, who was angling to become the program's third overall national qualifier for the 2016 NCAA Division II Championships.
The Royalla, Australia fell just shy posting the ninth-best time in school history just off of a provisional time of 4:34.00.
Reilly's time of 4:35.18 set in the Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays remains the top time in the Lone Star Conference this season.
New Mexico's Calli Thackery highlighted the 12-section competition featuring more than 100 runners with a stadium record time of 4:14.99 which is the second fastest 1,500-meter in collegiate track this season.
Nike's Darcy Arreola set the previous stadium record time of 4:15.64 during the 1996 season. Annette Melcher held the meet record of 4:20.15 at the 2015 Clay Invitational.
Midwestern State competes in the Michael Johnson Classic hosted by Baylor next weekend in Waco.