Odorless Killer - Newschannel 6 Now | Wichita Falls, TX

Odorless Killer

Source:KAUZ Source:KAUZ
WICHITA FALLS, TX -

Severe weather in Texoma this time of the year can lead to power outages, which forces some homeowners to use portable backup generators - but these alternative sources of energy can be deadly if not operated correctly.

Carbon monoxide gas is poisonous, colorless, tasteless and odorless which makes it even more dangerous because homeowners don't know it's there.

You can't see it, smell it or even hear it - but you can stop it.  Carbon monoxide poisoning kills more than 400 Americans each year. Over 20 thousand visit the emergency room and more than 4 thousand are hospitalized due to CO poisoning - but it's not all due to generators.

The majority of carbon monoxide poisonings happen in the winter because of gas furnaces in the home but portable generators can also be deadly. Experts say they should never be used indoors, including in the garage.

“You will die if you do put the generator in the house or a garage or an enclosed location that is connected to the house. The carbon monoxide will filter into the house and you won't wake up.”

Experts says people make the mistake of putting generators in the garage so that if there's a storm and they want to fill it up with gas - they won't get wet or they're afraid the generator will get damaged outside in the bad weather.  But, no matter what, they say keep the generator outside and use extension cords.

The first line of defense against carbon monoxide poisoning is to install CO detectors in the home. Detectors should be installed on every level and near bedrooms. Some experts says they are even more important than fire detectors.

“You have to change them out every 3 or 4 years. Some have a ten year warranty. I highly recommend carbon monoxide detectors whether you have a gas house or an electric house.”

Carbon monoxide is produced any time a fuel is burned. When a device malfunctions or doesn't get proper ventilation, the fumes accumulate. 75% of U.S. homes have a potential source of carbon monoxide, yet surveys show only half have a detector. Other sources of CO include water heaters, space heaters, clothes dryers, barbecue grills, fireplaces, wood-burning stoves, gas ovens. 

People often mistake carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms for the flu. Suffers may feel confused or dizzy. They can have nausea, blurred vision, headaches, sleepiness, vomiting or weakness.

State law requires that qualifying daycare centers, group daycare homes, and family homes in Texas must be equipped with carbon monoxide detectors.
 

Copyright 2016. All Rights Reserved KAUZ News.
 

  • News HeadlinesNewsMore>>

  • France wins 2nd World Cup title, beats Croatia 4-2

    France wins 2nd World Cup title, beats Croatia 4-2

    Sunday, July 15 2018 1:03 PM EDT2018-07-15 17:03:26 GMT
    Sunday, July 15 2018 5:11 PM EDT2018-07-15 21:11:15 GMT
    (AP Photo/Martin Meissner). France's Kylian Mbappe, front, celebrates after scoring his side's fourth goal during the final match between France and Croatia at the 2018 soccer World Cup in the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow, Russia, Sunday, July 15, 2018.(AP Photo/Martin Meissner). France's Kylian Mbappe, front, celebrates after scoring his side's fourth goal during the final match between France and Croatia at the 2018 soccer World Cup in the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow, Russia, Sunday, July 15, 2018.
    France won its second World Cup title by beating Croatia 4-2 in a match briefly interrupted by an on-field protest that Russian punk band Pussy Riot later took credit for.
    France won its second World Cup title by beating Croatia 4-2 in a match briefly interrupted by an on-field protest that Russian punk band Pussy Riot later took credit for.
  • CVS apologizes after managers call cops on black customer

    CVS apologizes after managers call cops on black customer

    Sunday, July 15 2018 12:58 PM EDT2018-07-15 16:58:11 GMT
    Sunday, July 15 2018 5:05 PM EDT2018-07-15 21:05:29 GMT
    CVS Health is apologizing after a black customer says a white store manager in Chicago accused her of trying to use a phony coupon. (Source: AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)CVS Health is apologizing after a black customer says a white store manager in Chicago accused her of trying to use a phony coupon. (Source: AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)

    CVS Health is apologizing after a black customer says a white store manager in Chicago accused her of trying to use a phony coupon.

    CVS Health is apologizing after a black customer says a white store manager in Chicago accused her of trying to use a phony coupon.

  • New Mexico passenger bus crash kills 3, injures 24 others

    New Mexico passenger bus crash kills 3, injures 24 others

    Sunday, July 15 2018 12:40 PM EDT2018-07-15 16:40:07 GMT
    Sunday, July 15 2018 5:05 PM EDT2018-07-15 21:05:28 GMT
    Authorities say a crash involving a passenger bus and three other vehicles on a highway in New Mexico has killed three people and sent 22 others to the hospital. (Source: CNN)Authorities say a crash involving a passenger bus and three other vehicles on a highway in New Mexico has killed three people and sent 22 others to the hospital. (Source: CNN)

    Authorities say a crash involving a passenger bus and three other vehicles on a highway in New Mexico has killed three people and sent 22 others to the hospital.

    Authorities say a crash involving a passenger bus and three other vehicles on a highway in New Mexico has killed three people and sent 22 others to the hospital.

Powered by Frankly