Summer is around the corner and homeowners are planning their home improvement projects. Before you hire someone, please consider the following tips:
* Get at least three estimates and get those estimates in writing so you can compare prices and also avoid the prices changing later.
* Use the BBB online "request a quote" feature for convenience. Fill out the form one time and it goes to only BBB Accredited Businesses.
* Hire only licensed contractors. Unlicensed work is at the risk of the homeowner and you want to make sure the contractor pulls the proper permits for the job.
* Get references and check them. Even if the references are happy with the work, make sure you contact those references and ask if the contractors showed up and cleaned up as promised.
* Make sure everything promised is in writing in the contracts. Any verbal promises should be in written form.
* Do not completely pay for the job until you are satisfied. Never let payments get ahead of the work and avoid paying cash.