WICHITA FALLS, TX (KAUZ) - A 6-month-old baby girl from Melissa, TX is the latest to die after being left in a car for up to four hours Tuesday.
"Unfortunately, it's more than we'd like. Last year in the United States there were 24 children that were killed due to vehicular heat stroke," DPS Trooper Dan Buesing said.
Officials say temperatures inside the car can rise more than 20 degrees in only ten minutes. Even with an outside temperature of 60 degrees, the temperatures inside a car can read 110 degrees.
"The body just heats up really fast, especially if they're not already hydrated and it can lead to death," Buesing said.
Wichita Falls mother, Alexis Amaya, takes steps to make sure her children are not left in the car.
"I leave my purse in the backseat because you always need your purse," Amaya said.
Samuel Berry said no matter how short the trip may be, where ever he goes, his two boys go with him.
"One, the sun is hot and you know it's going to hurt the kids waiting in the car and two it's for safety reasons. You don't know whose out there and can abduct kids," Berry said.
If you see a child or animal locked in a vehicle, Buesing says to act quickly.
"If you see a child left unattended, stand there and make sure the child is okay. If it's an immediate safety issue call 911 or try to do what you can to get that child out of the car," Buesing said.
DPS officials said if a child goes missing, open the doors and trunks of every vehicle in the area. Many heatstroke deaths have happened when children were able to access a parked car unnoticed. Also, teach kids to not play in vehicles and keep keys out of children's reach when they're not being used.