Heroes of Texoma: Melinda Hartsfield - Newschannel 6 Now | Wichita Falls, TX

Heroes of Texoma: Melinda Hartsfield

Source:KAUZ Source:KAUZ
FORT SILL, TX (KAUZ) -

A Texoma mother is being recognized as this week's "Heroes of Texoma." Melinda Hartsfield joined the United States Army in 1999.

"It was actually spur of the moment," Melinda said.

She and her mother were driving around in Channelview, Texas when she had her pull over at the recruiters office.

"I really wasn't sure where I wanted to go with my life. I graduated high school, there wasn't much for me in Channelview, so I decided to join the military and do something for me," Melinda said.

She was stationed all over the country and deployed once to Iraq and Korea. She served as a medic.

"I've done everything from draw blood to do their medical records. Put them in a room and do their vitals. So, it's different and when I was in I also helped people become healthier," Melinda said.

She also served as a pregnancy and postpartum instructor.

"That's actually what geared me to become a trainer when I got out of the military," she said.

Her daughters are very proud of what she has done.

"It's great to know that she defended our country," Jacquelyn Fyffe said.

"She's made me proud because she went all over the country, saving people and helping them," Diamond Hartsfield said.

"I know that she's out there helping people and making people smile," Chloe Fyffe said.

Melinda served in the U.S. Army until November 2010 and now works as a personal trainer. While she does not consider herself a hero she is thankful to be recognized as such.

"It's amazing. I mean I don't feel like a hero but if my kids feel that way it makes me feel great inside," Melinda said.

If someone you know is deserving of some recognition, let us know. Email us your nomination to News@KAUZ.com. Include your contact information and any photos you may have. We will get in touch with you for further opportunities.

Samantha Forester, Newschannel 6

Copyright 2016 KAUZ All Rights Reserved

Amazon raising price of annual Prime membership to $119

Thursday, April 26 2018 5:59 PM EDT2018-04-26 21:59:01 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 10:29 PM EDT2018-04-27 02:29:21 GMT
    Amazon has ventured into other business areas including, shipping and medical care, and now banking. (Source: AMAZON/CNN)Amazon has ventured into other business areas including, shipping and medical care, and now banking. (Source: AMAZON/CNN)

Amazon says it will hike up the price of its Prime membership fee by 20 percent next month.

The Latest: Kim gave his sister a place at negotiating table

Thursday, April 26 2018 8:03 PM EDT2018-04-27 00:03:04 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 10:23 PM EDT2018-04-27 02:23:15 GMT
    (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon). South Korean President Moon Jae-in waves as he leaves to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, near presidential Blue House in Seoul, South Korea, Friday, April 27, 2018. North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and President Moo...(AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon). South Korean President Moon Jae-in waves as he leaves to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, near presidential Blue House in Seoul, South Korea, Friday, April 27, 2018. North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and President Moo...
    South Korean President Moon Jae-in leaves for summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

Trump's Cohen comments raise questions about relationship

Thursday, April 26 2018 9:18 AM EDT2018-04-26 13:18:48 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 10:22 PM EDT2018-04-27 02:22:24 GMT
    President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him 'with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal' and that 'from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong.' (Source: CNN)President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him 'with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal' and that 'from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong.' (Source: CNN)

President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him "with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal" and that "from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong."