Heroes of Texoma: Melinda Hartsfield - Newschannel 6 Now | Wichita Falls, TX

Heroes of Texoma: Melinda Hartsfield

Source:KAUZ Source:KAUZ
FORT SILL, TX (KAUZ) -

A Texoma mother is being recognized as this week's "Heroes of Texoma." Melinda Hartsfield joined the United States Army in 1999.

"It was actually spur of the moment," Melinda said.

She and her mother were driving around in Channelview, Texas when she had her pull over at the recruiters office.

"I really wasn't sure where I wanted to go with my life. I graduated high school, there wasn't much for me in Channelview, so I decided to join the military and do something for me," Melinda said.

She was stationed all over the country and deployed once to Iraq and Korea. She served as a medic.

"I've done everything from draw blood to do their medical records. Put them in a room and do their vitals. So, it's different and when I was in I also helped people become healthier," Melinda said.

She also served as a pregnancy and postpartum instructor.

"That's actually what geared me to become a trainer when I got out of the military," she said.

Her daughters are very proud of what she has done.

"It's great to know that she defended our country," Jacquelyn Fyffe said.

"She's made me proud because she went all over the country, saving people and helping them," Diamond Hartsfield said.

"I know that she's out there helping people and making people smile," Chloe Fyffe said.

Melinda served in the U.S. Army until November 2010 and now works as a personal trainer. While she does not consider herself a hero she is thankful to be recognized as such.

"It's amazing. I mean I don't feel like a hero but if my kids feel that way it makes me feel great inside," Melinda said.

If someone you know is deserving of some recognition, let us know. Email us your nomination to News@KAUZ.com. Include your contact information and any photos you may have. We will get in touch with you for further opportunities.

Samantha Forester, Newschannel 6

Copyright 2016 KAUZ All Rights Reserved

Showdown hearing not set yet: Dems, GOP arguing on witnesses

Tuesday, September 18 2018 1:30 AM EDT2018-09-18 05:30:22 GMT
    Tuesday, September 18 2018 1:20 PM EDT2018-09-18 17:20:10 GMT
    (AP Photo/Alex Brandon). In this Sept. 6, 2018 photo, Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh reacts as he testifies after questioning before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Capitol Hill in Washington. Official Washington is scrambling Monday to assess...(AP Photo/Alex Brandon). In this Sept. 6, 2018 photo, Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh reacts as he testifies after questioning before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Capitol Hill in Washington. Official Washington is scrambling Monday to assess...

Republicans reversed course and agreed to the hearing in the face of growing demands by GOP senators to hear directly from Kavanaugh and Christine Blasey Ford, now a psychology professor in California.

2018 Toy Hall of Fame nominees: Which ones did you play with?

Tuesday, September 18 2018 1:06 PM EDT2018-09-18 17:06:27 GMT
    Tuesday, September 18 2018 1:16 PM EDT2018-09-18 17:16:38 GMT
    These 12 toys have entertained kids for generations and only a couple will make the cut. (Source: National Toy Hall of Fame)These 12 toys have entertained kids for generations and only a couple will make the cut. (Source: National Toy Hall of Fame)

Trump imposes tariffs on $200B more of Chinese goods

Monday, September 17 2018 6:57 PM EDT2018-09-17 22:57:00 GMT
    Tuesday, September 18 2018 1:11 PM EDT2018-09-18 17:11:30 GMT
    The tariffs will start at 10 percent and rise to 25 percent starting Jan. 1. (Source: AP Photo/Ben Margot)The tariffs will start at 10 percent and rise to 25 percent starting Jan. 1. (Source: AP Photo/Ben Margot)

Trump intensifies trade war by imposing tariffs on $200B more of China goods starting next week.