Fire displaces family from home, brings community together - Newschannel 6 Now | Wichita Falls, TX

Fire displaces family from home, brings community together

BURKBURNETT, TX (KAUZ) -

A house fire in Burkburnett Monday night displaces a family from their home, but this devastating incident is showing how the town takes care of their own.
Family, friends and even the local McDonalds is helping the Carter family pick up the pieces of not only their home, but their lives.
Many of those people who are lending a helping hand say, they are just returning the favor, since Chase Carter puts his life on the line every day for the city working as a Burkburnett Volunteer Fire Fighter.

Although Chase is no stranger to house fires, nothing could prepare him for being on the other side of the flames.

“It's a totally different feeling. I mean my stomach just went in my throat it was terrible,” said Chase Carter.
The Carters said luckily no one was home when the fire broke out.

That is because these parents were doing something many do, going for a drive to get the kids to fall asleep.
Although the flames have displaced this family, the community is coming together to support them.
Elizabeth Carter said with shopping for this upcoming school year completed, the assistance to replace these items is greatly appreciated.
     “I'm just so taken away. I just can't believe how many people have reached out; the phone calls, the messages and the text. I’m just so thankful for family and friends and people that we don't even know,” said Elizabeth.
Chief Rodney Ryalls with the Burkburnett Volunteer Fire Department said the Carters are family.

     “Whatever we can do to support them. Whether it means work at the house, moving things around or getting them monetary funds. Things like that to support them as they get through this,” said Chief Ryalls.
The owner of the McDonalds in Burkburnett feels the same way.

Kathy Holland, the restaurant's supervisor presented the family with a check for $1,000.

The fast food location will also provide the family of six with free meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner whenever they stop by.

     “He is a fireman. He's helping people all the time, and In his time of need I think we should be able to help him and help their family through it," said Holland.

Officials with the Burkburnett Fire Department said the cause of the fire was an electrical short where an iron was plugged in.
The Carter's home has extensive smoke and water damage and will cost an estimated $15,000 to $20,000 to repair.

 A gofundme.com account has been set up to help the family.

A benefit account has also been created to help the Carters. 

You can go to First Bank in Burkburnett to donate.

The name of the account: Carter Benefit Account

Account Number: 4105796

Copyright 2016 KAUZ News All Rights Reserved 

Powered by Frankly