Heroes of Texoma: How a retired Lt. Col. serves his community af - Newschannel 6 Now | Wichita Falls, TX

Heroes of Texoma: How a retired Lt. Col. serves his community after 22-year USAF career

(Source: David Toogood) (Source: David Toogood)
WICHITA FALLS, TX (KAUZ) -

A man who now calls Texoma home knew at a young age he wanted to serve his country.

"I had a boy scout master back when I was in junior high that was fairly inspirational to me. He happened to be an Army recruiter and the funny thing that he told me was that if I joined the service I need to go into the Air Force," retired Lt. Col. David Toogood said.

That inspiration carried on into high school where David began looking into the Air Force Academy.

"I thought it was a good combination to be able to serve my country, join the Air Force and have a good education," he said.

His career took him all over the country. Toogood spent time in Mississippi, Florida, Japan, Texas, Virginia, Nevada, South Korea and Alaska.

"The flying is exciting. That was a wonderful part of being in the military," he said.

Lt. Col. Toogood spent time as an instructor pilot twice at Sheppard Air Force Base and retired here in April of this year after serving nearly 22 years in the military.

"I was at a point in my life where I had an option of either continuing in the military or retiring, and I had made the decision that I enjoyed being in the military and I was going to stay there until something better came along and that's when I heard about Work Services Corporation," he said.

Work Services Corporation works to empower people with disabilities through training and employment. David serves at the president of WSC.

"It's an opportunity to lead a large organization towards and very special and important mission," he said.

While he does not consider himself a hero, he wants to use this platform for the greater good.

"It's humbling. I appreciate it. But really I hope to use part of that recognition to advance what our company is trying to do," he said.

David is training five of his employees with varying disabilities to ride in their first Hotter'N Hell Hundred. For a closer look at that story click here

Samantha Forester, Newschannel 6

Copyright 2016 KAUZ All Rights Reserved

Barbara Bush was 'first lady of the greatest generation'

Saturday, April 21 2018 12:04 AM EDT2018-04-21 04:04:04 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 7:15 PM EDT2018-04-21 23:15:49 GMT
    (AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Mourners pause as former U.S. first lady Barbara Bush lies in repose during the visitation of former first lady Barbara Bush at St. Martin's Episcopal Church, Friday, April 20, 2018, in Houston.(AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Mourners pause as former U.S. first lady Barbara Bush lies in repose during the visitation of former first lady Barbara Bush at St. Martin's Episcopal Church, Friday, April 20, 2018, in Houston.

As the outpouring of tributes continues for Barbara Bush, the general public can pay its respects to the former first lady.

Trump says he doesn't think personal lawyer will 'flip'

Saturday, April 21 2018 9:14 AM EDT2018-04-21 13:14:09 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 7:15 PM EDT2018-04-21 23:15:22 GMT
    (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer, File). FILE - In a Monday, April 16, 2018, file photo, Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's personal attorney, center, leaves federal court, in New York. Federal prosecutors said they can give President Donald Trump's person...(AP Photo/Mary Altaffer, File). FILE - In a Monday, April 16, 2018, file photo, Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's personal attorney, center, leaves federal court, in New York. Federal prosecutors said they can give President Donald Trump's person...

President Donald Trump says he doesn't expect personal lawyer Michael Cohen to "flip" as the government investigates Cohen's business dealings.

Trump considering pardon for late boxer Jack Johnson

Saturday, April 21 2018 3:44 PM EDT2018-04-21 19:44:16 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 7:15 PM EDT2018-04-21 23:15:16 GMT
    Stallone, who starred in the 1976 boxing film "Rocky" and several sequels, is a supporter of the president and attended Trump's New Years' Eve party at Mar-a-Lago in 2016. (Source: CNN/Twitter)Stallone, who starred in the 1976 boxing film "Rocky" and several sequels, is a supporter of the president and attended Trump's New Years' Eve party at Mar-a-Lago in 2016. (Source: CNN/Twitter)

President Donald Trump says he's considering "a Full Pardon!" for boxing's first black heavyweight champion more than 100 years after Jack Johnson was convicted by all-white jury of "immorality" for one of his relationships.