Freon leak causes evacuation at WF Walmart

Freon leak causes evacuation at WF Walmart

WICHITA FALLS, TX (KAUZ) - Just before 9:00am Wednesday morning, a Freon leak sent the Wichita Falls Fire Department's HAZMAT team into action. The leak happened at the Walmart on Lawrence Road.

Fire Department officials tell NewsChannel 6 that one person was taken to United Regional to be treated for injuries, and said more people could be going for treatment after inhaling the Freon gas on their own.

The building was evacuated while crews rushed to shut the leaking pipe down.

Walmart officials said they were hoping to have the store back up and running later Wednesday morning.

Fire officials say the leak was caused when an employee hit the pipe while attempting to move something close to it.

Stay with 6 as we continue to learn more.

Copyright 2016 KAUZ All rights reserved