Heroes of Texoma: Manuel Borrego - Newschannel 6 Now | Wichita Falls, TX

Heroes of Texoma: Manuel Borrego

(Source: KAUZ) (Source: KAUZ)
WICHITA FALLS, TX (KAUZ) -

This week's 'Hero of Texoma' is a familiar face in Wichita Falls.

"I joined the military right out of high school," Wichita Falls Police Chief Manuel Borrego said.

In 1978 the Hirschi High School graduate knew being in law enforcement was in his future.

"I wanted to be a police officer, but you had to be 21," he said.

He said he didn't really want to go to college at the time so he joined the U.S. Marine Corp and planned to join the police department when he returned.

"I spent three years in the Marine Corp and then I transitioned out. I was honorably discharged and then I joined the police department so I was kind of in a inactive ready reserve status," he said.

During the next three years of inactive reserve status, he served, Borrego joined the Wichita Falls Police Department.

"About the time those three years were expiring I had already been through the police academy, through my FTO, got a little experience so I quickly joined the National Guard," Borrego said.

His military career did not end there. In 1988 he transitioned again to the U.S. Army Reserve and went to Drill Sergeant school.

"I spent 32 years in the military total before I finally retired," he said.

During his career, Borrego spent time in Okinawa, Japan, Afghanistan and several states across the U.S. He went up the ranks to Command Sergeant Major.

Borrego finally chose to retire from his military career when he took police chief in the fall of 2012. Despite being nominated as a 'Hero of Texoma', Borrego does not consider himself as such.

"When you use the word hero I just look at it as I'm trying to do some good things for the city, some good things for our country," he said.

To nominate your hero send us an email nomination to news@KAUZ.com. Make sure to include your contact information and any photos you may have. We will get in touch with your for further opportunities.

Samantha Forester, Newschannel 6

Copyright 2016 KAUZ All Rights Reserved

Fleetwood Mac announces North American tour

Wednesday, April 25 2018 12:12 PM EDT2018-04-25 16:12:58 GMT
    Wednesday, April 25 2018 12:12 PM EDT2018-04-25 16:12:58 GMT
    The Fleetwood Mac tour, minus Lindsey Buckingham, begins in October and continues until April 2019. (Source: Evan Agostini/AP)The Fleetwood Mac tour, minus Lindsey Buckingham, begins in October and continues until April 2019. (Source: Evan Agostini/AP)

The Fleetwood Mac tour begins in October and continues until April 2019 - but without Lindsey Buckingham.

Police try to unlock phone with dead man's finger in Florida

Sunday, April 22 2018 2:55 PM EDT2018-04-22 18:55:10 GMT
    Wednesday, April 25 2018 9:32 AM EDT2018-04-25 13:32:51 GMT
    (Source: Pixabay)(Source: Pixabay)

Florida authorities went to a funeral home and used a dead man's finger to try to unlock his cellphone as part of their investigation.

Dream job: Harley-Davidson paid interns get a motorcycle too

Monday, April 23 2018 9:35 AM EDT2018-04-23 13:35:31 GMT
    Wednesday, April 25 2018 9:32 AM EDT2018-04-25 13:32:48 GMT
    Eight college students or recent graduates will have the enviable task of being paid to ride a Harley and share their adventures on social media. (Source: Pixabay)Eight college students or recent graduates will have the enviable task of being paid to ride a Harley and share their adventures on social media. (Source: Pixabay)

Harley-Davidson is offering free motorcycles for those who join its paid summer internship program.