Heroes of Texoma: Military career brings Chicago man to Wichita - Newschannel 6 Now | Wichita Falls, TX

Heroes of Texoma: Military career brings Chicago man to Wichita Falls

(Source: KAUZ) (Source: KAUZ)
(Source: KAUZ) (Source: KAUZ)
(Source: KAUZ) (Source: KAUZ)
WICHITA FALLS, TX (KAUZ) -

This week's Hero of Texoma is a man who was born and raised in Chicago, IL, but found his home in Wichita Falls.

"My career was 20 years, 7 months and 14 days," retired Sgt. First Class DeJuan Wallace said.

He and his brother were supposed to join the military together but Wallace chickened out. Six months later he followed in his brother's footsteps and joined the United States Army.

"I was in the Gulf War and Desert Storm," Wallace said.

He spent time in Germany, Hungary, Korea and many of the 50 states.

"I love to travel. I can travel on the government's dollar more or less," he said.

While he was able to see the world, he fell in love with Sheppard Air Force Base.

"Well, I got to Sheppard in '91. When I was stationed here I was an aircraft hydraulics instructor and from there I went to Germany, then went to Fort Polk, Louisiana and retired and came back here in 2002," he said.

His wife Teresa is proud of her husband's military career.

"I'm so happy that he served. Just to know that he gave the 20 years, 7 months and 14 days, as he likes to tell people, is really exciting because a lot of people don't really do that anymore," she said.

Wallace retired from the U.S. Army and went to work for the U.S. Air Force as a civilian. He has enjoyed his ride but does not consider himself a hero.

"I like what I've done. I do believe I helped out a little bit. But to say I'm a hero, I'm not too sure of that," he said.

To nominate your hero send us an email to News@KAUZ.com. Include your contact information and any photos you may have. We will reach out to you for further opportunities.

Samantha Forester, Newschannel 6

Copyright 2016 KAUZ All Rights Reserved

Parent upset after preschool bans child from having a 'best friend'

Thursday, April 19 2018 9:17 PM EDT2018-04-20 01:17:59 GMT
    Thursday, April 19 2018 9:17 PM EDT2018-04-20 01:17:59 GMT
    Juliana Hartwell attended Pentucket Workshop Preschool in Georgetown, MA. (Source: WBZ/CNN)Juliana Hartwell attended Pentucket Workshop Preschool in Georgetown, MA. (Source: WBZ/CNN)

"I think it's ridiculous" said the mother of the child, after she was told she couldn't use the term "best friend" by a teacher.

Lance Armstrong settles $100M lawsuit with US government

Thursday, April 19 2018 4:32 PM EDT2018-04-19 20:32:44 GMT
    Thursday, April 19 2018 9:16 PM EDT2018-04-20 01:16:01 GMT
    (Bernard Papon/Pool Photo via AP, File). FILE - In this July 24, 2004, file pool photo, overall leader Lance Armstrong, right, of Austin, Texas, follows compatriot and teammate Floyd Landis, left, in the ascent of the La Croix Fry pass during the 17th ...(Bernard Papon/Pool Photo via AP, File). FILE - In this July 24, 2004, file pool photo, overall leader Lance Armstrong, right, of Austin, Texas, follows compatriot and teammate Floyd Landis, left, in the ascent of the La Croix Fry pass during the 17th ...
    Lance Armstrong has reached a$5 million settlement with the federal government in a civil whistleblower lawsuit that could have sought $100 million in damages from the former cyclist.

American ISIS wife endured horror, now wants to come home

Thursday, April 19 2018 7:26 PM EDT2018-04-19 23:26:55 GMT
    Thursday, April 19 2018 9:02 PM EDT2018-04-20 01:02:08 GMT

Sam Sally says she was coerced by her husband, who has since died, into crossing into ISIS territory while on vacation in Turkey four years ago.