Texoma Votes 2016: Wichita County Commissioners Court Precinct 3 - Newschannel 6 Now | Wichita Falls, TX

Texoma Votes 2016: Wichita County Commissioners Court Precinct 3 preview

Source: KAUZ Source: KAUZ
Source: KAUZ Source: KAUZ
WICHITA COUNTY, TX (KAUZ) -

The November vote is only 11 days away and we continue to look at the contested races in Wichita County.
Two men are vying for your vote to be on the Precinct 3 Wichita County Commissioners Court.
Republican Barry Mahler has been on the commissioners court for eight years and is a life long Wichitan.
    "I made the statement when I first ran that I'm the only one in this race that has an NBA and can run a Motor Grader," Mahler said. "I can and I do."
Democrat Gordon Griffith is an Iowa Park native that has previous experience on the court.
    "With my experience in construction work and on the commissioners court, I feel like I'm qualified to help the taxpayers," Griffith said.
Both believe the jail is one of the top priorities.
    "Our facility is old, it's outdated and we could really bring some new efficiencies into the legal system of Wichita County with a new jail," Mahler said.
    "I think that the county needs to build a new jail on county property," Griffith said. "I do not believe we should purchase additional property."
Another hot topic is the recent county tax increase.
    "The people are tired of being taxed, taxed and taxed," Griffith said.
    "We decided to be proactive in going to our state legislature and talking about some of those mandated services that come our way and see if there's not some ways that we can work together to lower those costs and take some of that pressure off the local property owners," Mahler said.
The candidates also talked about county stability.
Mahler said the area has not seen growth in a long time but believes the Texas expansion near the I-35 corridor will spill into Wichita County.
Griffith said the county needs to keep businesses coming for financial security.
Both candidates want your vote and think they are the right man for the job.
    "I know how to say no and people respect me for that," Griffith said. "And some don't respect me for that because there may be something they think they need for their department. I go along with the way I feel and by what people are telling me."
    "I think all to often people that serve for a while in any position begin to think that it's their seat," Mahler said. "Like that's their job. Well that belongs to the voters of Wichita County and they will decide that."

Copyright 2016 KAUZ News All Rights Reserved

The Latest: Barbara Bush buried at presidential library

Saturday, April 21 2018 10:44 AM EDT2018-04-21 14:44:47 GMT
    Sunday, April 22 2018 4:36 AM EDT2018-04-22 08:36:35 GMT
    (AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Attendees arrive at St. Martin's Episcopal Church for a funeral service for former first lady Barbara Bush, Saturday, April 21, 2018, in Houston.(AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Attendees arrive at St. Martin's Episcopal Church for a funeral service for former first lady Barbara Bush, Saturday, April 21, 2018, in Houston.

Guests have begun to arrive at St. Martin's Church in Houston for the funeral of former first lady Barbara Bush.

Laughter, tears as former first lady Barbara Bush remembered

Saturday, April 21 2018 12:04 AM EDT2018-04-21 04:04:04 GMT
    Sunday, April 22 2018 4:36 AM EDT2018-04-22 08:36:26 GMT
    (AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Mourners pause as former U.S. first lady Barbara Bush lies in repose during the visitation of former first lady Barbara Bush at St. Martin's Episcopal Church, Friday, April 20, 2018, in Houston.(AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Mourners pause as former U.S. first lady Barbara Bush lies in repose during the visitation of former first lady Barbara Bush at St. Martin's Episcopal Church, Friday, April 20, 2018, in Houston.

As the outpouring of tributes continues for Barbara Bush, the general public can pay its respects to the former first lady.

Trump says he doesn't think personal lawyer will 'flip'

Saturday, April 21 2018 9:14 AM EDT2018-04-21 13:14:09 GMT
    Sunday, April 22 2018 4:36 AM EDT2018-04-22 08:36:14 GMT
    (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer, File). FILE - In a Monday, April 16, 2018, file photo, Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's personal attorney, center, leaves federal court, in New York. Federal prosecutors said they can give President Donald Trump's person...(AP Photo/Mary Altaffer, File). FILE - In a Monday, April 16, 2018, file photo, Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's personal attorney, center, leaves federal court, in New York. Federal prosecutors said they can give President Donald Trump's person...

President Donald Trump says he doesn't expect personal lawyer Michael Cohen to "flip" as the government investigates Cohen's business dealings.