Heroes of Texoma: Henrietta man serves 23 plus years after being - Newschannel 6 Now | Wichita Falls, TX

Heroes of Texoma: Henrietta man serves 23 plus years after being drafted in 1954

(Source: KAUZ) (Source: KAUZ)
HENRIETTA, TX (KAUZ) -

This week's Hero of Texoma is a Henrietta man who was drafted in 1954 at 19 years old.

"I did my job, that's all I know and I always looked out for my troops," Vietnam veteran James Hager said.

Hager served two tours in Korea and Vietnam and one tour in Thailand. He also served in Germany during the Berlin Crisis.

"I had some close calls. Had one incoming rocket hit about four inches from me when I was in Vietnam," Hager said.

The father of four worked tirelessly to provide for his family. His son remembers him taking a second job while serving our country at a military base theater.

"I can remember him taking me into the theater and me sitting there in the office at the typewriter playing on (it)," David Hager said.

A hero is something James Hager has always been to his siblings.

"He was always my idol growing up. I was always so proud of him," youngest sister, Noretta Rhyne said.

That love has carried on for several generations.

"He was our protector. You know he always made us feel comfortable and spoiled us a lot," granddaughter, Denise Webb said.

His love for his country continued following his military retirement after 23 years. For another 24 years as the Post Commander at the VFW Bucky Boyd Post 5401.

"He's got the greatest moral character of any man I know and I'm just proud to be his son," David Hager said.

To nominate your Hero of Texoma send us an email to News@KAUZ.com. Include your contact information and any photos you have of your nominee. We will get in touch with you for further opportunities.

Samantha Forester, Newschannel 6

Copyright 2016 KAUZ All Rights Reserved

Congress releases redacted, declassified Democratic memo

Saturday, February 24 2018 4:45 PM EST2018-02-24 21:45:36 GMT
    Sunday, February 25 2018 12:26 AM EST2018-02-25 05:26:27 GMT
    The White House objected to its release Feb. 9, citing national security concerns. Democrats have since negotiated with the FBI on what should be blacked out.The White House objected to its release Feb. 9, citing national security concerns. Democrats have since negotiated with the FBI on what should be blacked out.

Congress has released a redacted, declassified memo that aims to counter GOP allegations that the FBI abused government surveillance powers.

After years of dejection, proponents of gun laws see hope

Saturday, February 24 2018 10:35 AM EST2018-02-24 15:35:23 GMT
    Sunday, February 25 2018 12:26 AM EST2018-02-25 05:26:13 GMT
    The progression has become numbingly repetitive - mass bloodshed unleashed by a gunman, followed by the stories of the fallen, the funerals and mourning. (Source: AP Photos)The progression has become numbingly repetitive - mass bloodshed unleashed by a gunman, followed by the stories of the fallen, the funerals and mourning. (Source: AP Photos)

"Our kids have started a revolution:" Teens' activism after Florida school shooting has some hopeful for action on gun policy.

NRA, Florida face backlash after latest school shooting

Saturday, February 24 2018 4:36 AM EST2018-02-24 09:36:41 GMT
    Sunday, February 25 2018 12:26 AM EST2018-02-25 05:26:02 GMT
    (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, File). FILE- In this Feb. 15, 2006, file photo, BlackRock headquarters is shown in New York. U.S. companies are taking a closer look at investments, co-branding deals and other ties to the gun industry and its public face, the ...(AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, File). FILE- In this Feb. 15, 2006, file photo, BlackRock headquarters is shown in New York. U.S. companies are taking a closer look at investments, co-branding deals and other ties to the gun industry and its public face, the ...

NRA faces corporate backlash after latest school shooting.

NRA faces corporate backlash after latest school shooting.