Heroes of Texoma: Henrietta man serves 23 plus years after being - Newschannel 6 Now | Wichita Falls, TX

Heroes of Texoma: Henrietta man serves 23 plus years after being drafted in 1954

(Source: KAUZ) (Source: KAUZ)
HENRIETTA, TX (KAUZ) -

This week's Hero of Texoma is a Henrietta man who was drafted in 1954 at 19 years old.

"I did my job, that's all I know and I always looked out for my troops," Vietnam veteran James Hager said.

Hager served two tours in Korea and Vietnam and one tour in Thailand. He also served in Germany during the Berlin Crisis.

"I had some close calls. Had one incoming rocket hit about four inches from me when I was in Vietnam," Hager said.

The father of four worked tirelessly to provide for his family. His son remembers him taking a second job while serving our country at a military base theater.

"I can remember him taking me into the theater and me sitting there in the office at the typewriter playing on (it)," David Hager said.

A hero is something James Hager has always been to his siblings.

"He was always my idol growing up. I was always so proud of him," youngest sister, Noretta Rhyne said.

That love has carried on for several generations.

"He was our protector. You know he always made us feel comfortable and spoiled us a lot," granddaughter, Denise Webb said.

His love for his country continued following his military retirement after 23 years. For another 24 years as the Post Commander at the VFW Bucky Boyd Post 5401.

"He's got the greatest moral character of any man I know and I'm just proud to be his son," David Hager said.

To nominate your Hero of Texoma send us an email to News@KAUZ.com. Include your contact information and any photos you have of your nominee. We will get in touch with you for further opportunities.

Samantha Forester, Newschannel 6

Copyright 2016 KAUZ All Rights Reserved

Average price of US gas jumps 9 cents, to $2.83 a gallon

Sunday, April 22 2018 1:24 PM EDT2018-04-22 17:24:47 GMT
    Monday, April 23 2018 4:56 AM EDT2018-04-23 08:56:32 GMT
    The average U.S. price of regular-grade gasoline spiked 9 cents a gallon over the past two weeks to $2.83. (Source: CNN/TWITTER)The average U.S. price of regular-grade gasoline spiked 9 cents a gallon over the past two weeks to $2.83. (Source: CNN/TWITTER)

Waffle House shooting victims: DeEbony Groves, 21, was 'full of immense potential'

Sunday, April 22 2018 11:48 PM EDT2018-04-23 03:48:36 GMT
    Monday, April 23 2018 4:48 AM EDT2018-04-23 08:48:16 GMT

Groves was a senior at Belmont, where she majored in social work, and her death left the school "shocked and devastated" its president said.

Thousands sing 'Happy Birthday' to Queen Elizabeth II

Saturday, April 21 2018 6:54 AM EDT2018-04-21 10:54:10 GMT
    Monday, April 23 2018 4:47 AM EDT2018-04-23 08:47:07 GMT
    (Toby Melville/Pool Photo via AP). Britain's Queen Elizabeth raises her glass during speeches at The Queen's Dinner, during the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting at Buckingham Palace in London, Thursday, April 19, 2018.(Toby Melville/Pool Photo via AP). Britain's Queen Elizabeth raises her glass during speeches at The Queen's Dinner, during the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting at Buckingham Palace in London, Thursday, April 19, 2018.

Queen Elizabeth II is marking her 92nd birthday with a star-studded concert in London.