Heroes of Texoma: WCSO Deputy continues to serve our country - Newschannel 6 Now | Wichita Falls, TX

Heroes of Texoma: WCSO Deputy continues to serve our country

(Source: Brien Conner) (Source: Brien Conner)
WICHITA FALLS, TX (KAUZ) -

This week's Hero of Texoma is a man who is serving his country and community.

Brien Conner always thought about joining the military. Both his grandfathers served in our armed forces.

But it was not until September 11th, 2001 that he knew it was something he was going to do.

"I was sitting in the library when I saw the towers fall in 2001. That was the day I knew that I was going to join," Conner said.

After graduating from Childress High School in the spring of 2003, Brien Conner joined the U.S. Army.

His military career has taken him to Georgia, Texas, and Iraq twice.

While serving our country, Conner said an ad in the newspaper. He was attending MSU for his criminal justice degree and the Wichita County Sheriff's Office was looking for detention officers.

"I applied and I was able to get hired on as a detention officer and I worked in the jail for five years and then I went through the peace officer academy and got moved out to the deputy side of it," Conner said.

The husband and father is involved in the community. That involvement is how he met Charlene Donagheyvomastek, who nominated him for Heroes of Texoma.

"He was stationed down the street from the Boys and Girls Club that I used to run," Donagheyvomastek said.

She said Conner is a hero because of the sacrifices he has made for our country and his family. While Conner himself does not consider himself a hero, plenty of people would disagree.

"I've never thought of myself as a hero. I know I've served alongside a bunch of them, but to me, I was just doing a job I was paid to do and something I believed in," Conner said.

If someone you know is deserving of this recognition, let us know. Send us your nomination to News@KAUZ.com. Include your contact information and any photos you may have. We will get in touch with you for further opportunities.

Samantha Forester, Newschannel 6

Copyright 2016 KAUZ All Rights Reserved

Police try to unlock phone with dead man's finger in Florida

Sunday, April 22 2018 2:55 PM EDT2018-04-22 18:55:10 GMT
    Wednesday, April 25 2018 9:32 AM EDT2018-04-25 13:32:51 GMT
    (Source: Pixabay)(Source: Pixabay)

Florida authorities went to a funeral home and used a dead man's finger to try to unlock his cellphone as part of their investigation.

Dream job: Harley-Davidson paid interns get a motorcycle too

Monday, April 23 2018 9:35 AM EDT2018-04-23 13:35:31 GMT
    Wednesday, April 25 2018 9:32 AM EDT2018-04-25 13:32:48 GMT
    Eight college students or recent graduates will have the enviable task of being paid to ride a Harley and share their adventures on social media. (Source: Pixabay)Eight college students or recent graduates will have the enviable task of being paid to ride a Harley and share their adventures on social media. (Source: Pixabay)

Harley-Davidson is offering free motorcycles for those who join its paid summer internship program.

The Latest: Trump urges VA nominee to keep fighting

Tuesday, April 24 2018 9:46 AM EDT2018-04-24 13:46:17 GMT
    Wednesday, April 25 2018 8:50 AM EDT2018-04-25 12:50:35 GMT
    (AP Photo/Alex Brandon). In this April 16, 2018, photo, U.S. Navy Rear Adm. Ronny Jackson, M.D., sits with Sen. Johnny Isakson, R-Ga., chairman of the Veteran's Affairs Committee, before their meeting on Capitol Hilin Washington. Jackson is President D...(AP Photo/Alex Brandon). In this April 16, 2018, photo, U.S. Navy Rear Adm. Ronny Jackson, M.D., sits with Sen. Johnny Isakson, R-Ga., chairman of the Veteran's Affairs Committee, before their meeting on Capitol Hilin Washington. Jackson is President D...

The White House is standing behind Ronny Jackson, President Donald Trump's choice to be Veterans Affairs secretary amid growing questions about his qualifications.