Heroes of Texoma: Sgt. Anthony Smith II - Newschannel 6 Now | Wichita Falls, TX

Heroes of Texoma: Sgt. Anthony Smith II

(Source: KAUZ) (Source: KAUZ)
WICHITA FALLS, TX (KAUZ) -

A man born and raised in Houston is calling Texoma home while he serves our country and local community.

Sgt. Anthony Smith II said joining the Texas Army National Guard was not something he saw himself doing as a teenager.

After graduating high school in 2007 he went off to college.

As his higher education debt began to rise Sgt. Smith began looking for another way to get his education while also bettering himself.

"First it started off with a friend of mine. He was already in the guard. He brought me to (his) house and the recruiter showed up," Sgt. Smith said.

He listened to his options for military training as well as education. After speaking to his parents, he signed his name on the dotted line.

"My mother did not want me to go at all. My father did not want me to go active, but he wanted me to do something with my life," Sgt. Smith said.

Sgt. Smith, the oldest of five siblings, took on the challenge of being an active duty soldier.

"I just wanted to make this my career," he said.

His close to nine years in the Texas Army National Guard has taken him all over Texas and to Iraq and Egypt.

"I really enjoyed the experience that I had going overseas," he said.

The time he has spent serving our country is something he has enjoyed and he is grateful for the guidance he has received thus far.

"I met a lot of Sergeant Majors, I met a lot of Chiefs that actually took me underneath their wing and helped me to be a better soldier," Sgt. Smith said.

Sgt. Smith will celebrate nine years in the Texas Army National Guard in May and a promotion to staff sergeant should be coming soon.

If someone you know is deserving of this recognition, let us know. Send us your Heroes of Texoma nomination to News@KAUZ.com. Be sure to include your contact information and any photos of the nominee.

Samantha Forester, Newschannel 6

Copyright 2017 KAUZ All Rights Reserved

FAA orders more engine inspections after Southwest accident

Friday, April 20 2018 4:53 PM EDT2018-04-20 20:53:41 GMT
    Friday, April 20 2018 10:15 PM EDT2018-04-21 02:15:17 GMT
    (NTSB via AP). National Transportation Safety Board investigators examine damage to the engine of the Southwest Airlines plane that made an emergency landing at Philadelphia International Airport in Philadelphia on Tuesday, April 17, 2018. The Southwes...(NTSB via AP). National Transportation Safety Board investigators examine damage to the engine of the Southwest Airlines plane that made an emergency landing at Philadelphia International Airport in Philadelphia on Tuesday, April 17, 2018. The Southwes...
    The manufacturer of the jet engine involved in a fatal Southwest Airlines accident Tuesday wants more jets to be inspected for potential problems.

1 student injured in Florida school shooting; suspect in custody

Friday, April 20 2018 9:27 AM EDT2018-04-20 13:27:44 GMT
    Friday, April 20 2018 9:53 PM EDT2018-04-21 01:53:21 GMT

One student was injured in a school shooting at Forest High School in Ocala, FL. Police say the shooter is another student.

Wells Fargo fined $1B for mortgage, auto lending abuses

Friday, April 20 2018 9:33 AM EDT2018-04-20 13:33:09 GMT
    Friday, April 20 2018 9:14 PM EDT2018-04-21 01:14:16 GMT
    (AP Photo/Matt Rourke, File). FILE - This Aug. 11, 2017, file photo shows a sign at a Wells Fargo bank location in Philadelphia. The New York Times and other news outlets are reporting Thursday, April 19, 2018, that federal regulators plan to fine Well...(AP Photo/Matt Rourke, File). FILE - This Aug. 11, 2017, file photo shows a sign at a Wells Fargo bank location in Philadelphia. The New York Times and other news outlets are reporting Thursday, April 19, 2018, that federal regulators plan to fine Well...

Wells Fargo fined a combined $1 billion by federal regulators for abuses tied to its mortgage and auto lending businesses.